Thread: Basement Workshops

Basement Workshops

Hello Everyone

This is my first post here and i have a question about the ceiling. Should i keep the drop ceiling in or take it out i plan on taking the walls all the way up to the floor joist the walls are 9' tall the shop will be 14'w x 20'L and i plan on making a DC unit there is doors on each side so no problem in geting materials in and out of the basement all of the big tools are already in the basement.

Thanks Harry

My ceilings are 9 ft and I finished it with drywall directly to the joists. It gives you that room to swing a sheet of plywood without damaging the ceiling.

3. Harry,

How high is the drop ceiling?

The drop ceiling is 8' high i am worried about saw dust getting throughout the rest of the basement and upstairs.

Harry

Blog Entries
    Harry
    Your lucky to have 9' ceilings. I have floor joists at less than 8'. My choice would be to pull the drop ceiling, run all the electrical and plumbing (air lines) and then put drywall on the bottom of the joists. Don't forget to plan out plenty of lighting!!
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Harry,
    I currently work in the basement and do have a problem with both dust and finishing odors. I am working on a DC right now, but after that is plumbed in I am contemplating a homemade drop ceiling as I have barely 8' clearance now. I am kicking around the idea of adding a 3" strip on the underside of the joists and then dropping in 1/2" (?) sheetrock since I still need access to all the wiring/plumbing/AC ducts for the house. So if I had 9' ceilings and an existing drop ceiling, I would leave it in place. As Dave V noted, I think a lot of it depends on how much access you will need for future changes.

Paul

I have a basement shop that is similar to yours. ~12"x22' with another room at one end (shape of a backwards "L") that is 8'x10'. I also have 9' ceilings without drywall or a drop ceiling. I have a dust collector and a Jet air filter. The rest of the basement is finished, with a theater room next door to the shop, and a rec room in another area about 18'x40'. I have no issues with dust. I used to use conventional lacquer and the smell would be an issue upstairs on the main level. But I now use Target Coatings waterborne finishes, so that is no longer a problem. I would imagine that solvent based finishes would be a problem even if you had a drop ceiling, and possibly even with a drywall ceiling. I like having my ceiling open, as it allows me to modify DC drops/lines without a lot of hassle, or to change around wiring. Better not to use use them, for the health of you and your family. Regards, Bill

Hi, another basement shop person here.

I have an Oneida cyclone for dust control, can't possibly say enough good things about it.

I installed a 400CFM variable speed squirrel cage exhaust blower in the shop, and open the kitchen window to provide make up air.

This pulls air from the main floor to the workshop when I'm finishing cabinets. This prevents the house from having vapours in it. A few hours after I'm done with the finishing, I drop the fan down to 100 CFM for about 12 hours, and partially close the kitchen window.

Regards, Rod.

Hi Harry,

I, also, have a basement shop. Since you're asking, I would remove the false ceiling and install a new ceiling against the bottom of the joists, keeping as much electrical and other above the ceiling. Take care.

Basement ceiling

I have had 1/3 of the basement left unfinished for a workshop that is 40 x 15'. also the ceilings are 9'8" to the bottom of the floor joists. this has no celing in it and I like it that way. suggest that you set up your shop with the equipment that you "think" you willl need and use it for 6 months. the reason is that you will make changes " beleive it or not"
    I added a Oneida dust system and needed the high height to mount the system higher. I used other filters from WYNN Environmental that are almost 6' high themselves
    to get the mounting correct for the dust pan I needed to mount the cyclone so the top of the botor is 9'2" off the floor.
    Just consider air lines electrical ducting for your collection system etc.

Good luck and congratulation on the new shop
    Bill

I've got a max of 6'6" clearance in my basement shop, so I can't do much but drool over the thought of 9' ceilings.

Like Rod, I also installed an exhaust fan (NuTone QT300) with a variable speed control. Best move I've made. When finishing or producing dust, I turn the fan on. With the workshop doors closed, this produces negative pressure in the shop and all fumes or unfiltered dust stay in the shop or get blown outside. I've never had an odor or dust problem in the rest of the house. I find I don't have to open any other windows (especially in winter), the house air leakage suffices.

My small 12x15 basement shop has open joists with a 7 1/2 foot ceiling. Another part of the basement is finished with a drop ceiling. I still want to seal off the joist openings to the rest of the basement.

[quote=David Parker;1097465]I find I don't have to open any other windows (especially in winter), the house air leakage suffices.quote]

I outsmarted myself by replacing all my windows and doors, sealing all the air leaks etc.

Worked great, except for the fact that I now didn't have enough combustion air for the gas furnace, water heater and clothes dryer if used simultaneously.

I now have a make up air vent into the furnace room, however I need the kitchen window open to make sure I draw air from the house, and not just through the basement make up air vent.

One of these days I'll install an HRV.

Regards, Rod.

I have a basement shop.
    There's pros/cons to any of the following 3 approaches:

1. Leave the drop ceiling in: Pros: access to joists for modifying electrical runs, sound insulation, dust insulation. Cons: lost height.

2. Drywall ceiling: Pros: Looks cleanest, sound insulation, dust insulation, good light reflection if painted white. Cons: Hard to modify. Lose the space between the joists.

3. Leave the ceiling completely open: Pros: Complete access to joists for storage and electrical and duct running. Cons: Sound insulation, dust insulation, light reflection.

IMHO, I'd go with 3. I use the space btn the joists for storage and I've modified my electrical and lighting layout a few times since I've started 8 years ago.