Thread: What do you think for a first lathe?

What do you think for a first lathe?

You didn't mention what type of turning you are interested in. That lathe should do fine for smaller projects. Make sure bearings are tight. It won't handle out of balance blanks very well. Remember that as been said many times here, the lathe purchase is often the cheapest part. All of the tools and accessories add up fast. Jump into the vortex with both feet and kiss your wallet goodbye.. If you are like most of us you will soon be upgrading to bigger and better.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Jim,

All depends on what you want to turn. Check on the speeds and read some of the old posts about horsepower before you make a decision. The wise posts always say buy all that you can afford so that you don't have to upgrade too soon into the furure.
    You must live near to Packard Woodworks. Check out the Carolina Mountain Woodturners meetings. It will be the second Saturday in April and Malcom Tibbetts will be there.
    If there is anything that I can help you with please feel free to give me a call. I live 36 miles from you. Best of luck.

Dave

Looks just like the first lathe I bought 30 years ago. Paid for itself within the first year. Also looks like the one Del Stubbs used for 20 years or so. I still have mine although not set up since the other 6 lathes all seem to have been an 'upgrade' in one way or another and there is no room. This is the lightest lathe I have too. That being said, I think I will set it up again for classes.

My first lathe was a Delta 4 speed very similar to this one. I learned pretty fast that it wasn't going to do what I wanted. In my opinion there are two drawbacks. There is no reverse for sanding and the lowest speed (for sanding) is really not that slow. However if you are not sure you will like turning then buy this one and use it until you decide. You can always sell it and buy another. I bought and sold 3 before I settled on the one I turn on today.

Id be tempted to snag that one up just for the duplicator.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.