Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help for my next plane.

I need help for my next plane.

I use my power tools to mile my wood, but after finishing with the jointer/planner I always hit it with hand planes to remove the roughness from the power tool.
    I had several planes such as LN 7 1/2, Jack Plane, low angle block plane, medium shoulder plane, Scrub plane and I have (I regret this one) LV 4 1/2.

I cannot make it work the LV 4 1/2. I sharp the blade and keep the mouth close enough to have thin shaves, but after any try it creates ridges, loose its sharp too quick, it is rust prone, well you got the idea, I hate this plane. I tried to crown the blade to avoid the ridges, no luck. So I am using my Jack as an smoother with the crown blade and it works fine but it is too narrow.

I am planning to buy a new smooth plane or something similar but I am tore in between options. I can replace it for LN 4 1/2 but I was thinking to get a low angle jack plane or low angle smooth plane.

I like the idea of the low angle because it is versatile. I was also thinking to get a scraper plane for difficult woods.

The problem is I don't have that kind of money floating around here and It has to be a LN. I don't want to deal again with LV planes.

Could the LA smooth replace the 4 1/2?
    Could the LA smooth work as smoother and as LA Jack?
    Could the LA Jack replace the smoother?

Any sugestions?

I have the LN #62 low angle jack and find that I like it better as a smoother than my ECE smoother. If you get a BU plane like the #62 get an extra blade to sharpen at a higher angle. But the LN low angle jack is not as wide as a 4 1/2 -- the iron is 2" just as wide as a regular #4 or #5. If you like the 7 1/2 it's basically a smaller version.
    Regarding your LV 4 1/2 if the iron will not hold an edge I would send the plane back to LV and have them look at it. They stand behind their stuff and I'm sure will help you out. I'd give them a call and try to see what's wrong before you spend the $ the replace it. BD planes like the 4 1/2 can be a little more fussy to get set up than the BU variety.
    Last edited by Joel Goodman; 03-30-2009 at 1:10 AM.

Fidel,

I've never tried the LV 4-1/2. I wonder about calling them and asking their advice to improve the performance. I have the LV Low Angle Jack and have had excellent luck with it. I often use it as a smoother too.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Fidel, another vote for the LV LA BU Jack! Excellent plane, and will do both jobs. I do not have the LV 4.5, however, I notice that it is for sale occasionally on the bay, while other LV planes are kind of scarce on there. Maybe that says something???

I vote get rid of it - you have lost confidence in it. Get something from which you can get consistent performance.

Hi Fidel -

If you don't like the 4 1/2, why don't you return it???

If you like - I will will swap it for a LA Jack - which would be my recommendation as well...

We don't want you keeping a product you're not happy with.

Just let me know - I can get one sent today.

Cheers -

Rob Lee

Now THAT is customer service!!!! Which is why I own Veritas planes

You cannot beat Rob's Offer!

I think Rob's offer to swap planes is extraordinary, but typical of Lee Valley. When I bought two LV planes (plus other neat stuff) at the Woodworking Show this weekend in Chantilly, VA, the salesman made it clear I could return the goods if they did not work. BTW - I got 10% off and free shipping at the show. First place I head to at the show is the Lee Valley area. BTW - my LV Bevel Up smoother is a delight. I use it on panels of all kinds and it makes even me look skillful and produces a shiny smooth finish.

Wow! Take Rob's offer! I would! I own the LV BU Jointer and LA Jack.

Could not be happier.

Now saving up for the smoother....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Fidel -

If you don't like the 4 1/2, why don't you return it???

If you like - I will will swap it for a LA Jack - which would be my recommendation as well...

We don't want you keeping a product you're not happy with.

Just let me know - I can get one sent today.

Cheers -

Rob Lee
    Rob,

This is incredible to have a customer service like this. I honestly was not expecting an offer like this, I was just asking for advice.
    Yes, I would like to swap the plane if that is possible, let me know how to do it.

P.S.

I am really impress.

Hi Fidel -

If you can confirm your address with me (email, and regular!) at rlee@leevalley.com , I'll have it all looked after. Pls also let me know if you prefer O1, or A2 steel...

Cheers -

Rob

Rob, I was once really unhappy with the packaging on a Lee Valley product. I thought the box was really too brown, when I much prefer a slightly more tan look.

Can I exchange that unsightly box for your bevel-up smoother?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Roderick View Post
    Rob, I was once really unhappy with the packaging on a Lee Valley product. I thought the box was really too brown, when I much prefer a slightly more tan look.

Can I exchange that unsightly box for your bevel-up smoother?
    Mark -

You're two days early...

(and you left out the word "box" after smoother....)

Cheers -

Rob

Darn, I was hoping you might miss the logic there.

I came across this thread while I was listening to the President explain how Chrysler and GM are going to get taken to the back yard and beat like an old rug on a clothes line to get all the dust beat out just to get the companies functional again.

It's awesome to see this kind of action by any company. Having the owner personally intervene in a situation like this is a great example for any of us. Even more so for those of us who own our own business. My experience with GM has been nothing but the opposite over the past 7 years.

I know this is weird, but after reading this I'm even more proud to have the LV plane that I do.

Just my $0.02.

C. Scott Mark

"There are places out there that have positive work environments!" - Jeremy (Polish name I can never spell)

Bravo LV. I have always found LV and LN to be the ultimate in customer service. And they both have great stuff.