Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

30 Mar 2009

Wow how time flies when you're having "fun".

Being working a good bit at the day/night job and trying to spend time with the family as well. It's been fun and interesting.

Anyway, I'm still working on the restoration project of the antique school desk. I get to start working on the actual woodworking part of this project today and with some patience, I'll be able to get all new pieces made for the seat and back of this old desk. It's a pretty good challenge since I have only a few pieces of the old wood to go by. I guess some would say that I'm a real sucker for "punishment". Oh well, at least it keeps the brain cells moving.

Well, that's it for me, so what did you do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

No woodworking for me. Well, I did sharpen one chisel with my Work Sharp that showed up about 4:00 on Friday. At 5 we were on the road headed for Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky, OH which was LOMLjr's birthday present (early, since they are booked every weekend for the next few weeks including her actual birthday.) I was kind of disappointed at the size of the place compared to our only other Great Wolf Lodge experience at the one in Karl's back yard but she had fun and that's what matters. We stayed there until Sunday. On the way home we stopped and bought a new truck which pretty much killed the rest of the day. I'm extending the weekend to at least part of today to take care of some business related to the truck and replace a sump pump that had its switch fail "ON". Highly unusually failure mode, and the second one I've had do that in 6 months--and they weren't even the same brand??? No damage or mess since I now have dual sumps/pumps plus a battery backup but still a pain in the rear.

Got some good shop time this weekend. Of course thanks to the warm moist air I had a half hour of rust cleanup to go with it.

• Built clamp racks to ride on my cleat system
    • Assembled mobile base for BS & Planer
    • Hung shop air filter
    • Tested my new dovetail saw
    • Started to construct my Thien separator
    • Solved my ductwork dilemma & got 1/3 installed
    • Sold my old 6" jointer and came to an agreement on my planer (picking it up this afternoon)
    Still a few weekends away from getting back to non-shop projects.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I had a pretty good weekend; I removed the cosmoline and got my G0660X 16" combination jointer/planer operational. Apparently it's a Scheppach IXES model (German mfg) that they repackaged for Grizzly.

It really works well; no snipe and no observable ripples in the board after planing. A nickle will stand on the deck while running, too.

A 14" wide board measured within .001 from side to side after planing, so no complaints there.

All in all a very nice machine.

I finished the cedar garden bench for my daughter. Used the U-build plans from Grizzly. Finished it with 5 coats of EM6000 waterborne lacquer. It turned out really well. I like this product, Dries fast, No strong odor.Sprays well. No fisheye. I used the semi gloss. will try the gloss next time. Target has a 25% discount going on now. may stock up while it is cheap.

I took advantage of the nice weather and fixed the swing-beam on the kids' swingset - a tree landed on it in December, cracking one side of it. It's actually like a 'ladder', so the kids can climb up on it, so I had to take it apart and fashion a replacement piece out of PT. I ended up with a lot of my tools outside, which actually was a lot of fun, although my neighbor did give me a look like "what the heck is he up to now?" LOL..

The one item I couldn't take outside was my planer - I did not feel like unmounting it from the stand, and I really wanted (needed) to use my DC with it. Note to self - planing 2 2x6 PT boards from 1.5" thick to 1 3/8" thick makes a LOT of shavings! I can safely say that I can run 12' boards through it in my basement - but literally I could not add any more than another inch or two. The DW735 and my Delta 50-760 both handled it all like a champ!

I think I could get used to working out in the sun like that. at least, as long as it's not too hot....
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Hunt Board Update

The hunt board I'm building has two frame and panel doors. Each door has two panels. The frames have an applied bead around each panel opening. There are sixteen miter joints to fit. I got the beads applied and fit 12 of the sixteen miters this weekend. It was all hand work with chisels and a miter block. So far, so good. The door frames look ugly at this point. They are stained dark red. They'll have black milk paint applied and then rubbed off and finished with BLO and wax. The beads and the door panels are curly cherry will be finished with Waterlox.

With the generous help from my wife and an appliance mover, we were able to move the different components of my new Steel City jointer (purchased at the Woodsmith Store on sale/model change) and my Shop Fox moulder to the basement shop. I'm envious of all of you with ground level shops. Put the jointer together - awesome piece of equipment. Then a little practicing making some mortises and tenons before I soon jump into the finished product (rails and stiles for plantation shutters). I missed the big part of the weekend - watching Iowa State women beat Michigan State on Saturday night to advance to the elite 8 - very sweet.

few small turnings:
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Hey Dewey,

Those are gorgeous!!!!! Great job.

It was a weekend of equestrian pursuits, housecleaning and parent-abuse by kids...no woodworking, although I did use my compressor to pump up the tires in my Highlander to where they should be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...