Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions for new weedeater

Any suggestions for new weedeater

Am thinking about replacing the existing weedeater and open for suggestions. Currently thinking about an industrial/pro Stihl model. I know they don't get any better than these but they also come with the price tag to show it. It must be multi-tool capable as I do have a large pampas grass patch that must be cut once a year, so a blade trimmer or hedge clipper attachment is a must. Any suggestions out there??? I would like to say that price is no object, but if I can get Stihl quality at a cheaper price then great, if not, then I'll buck up for the Stihl price.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Talked with a landscaper once and he only used Red Max. So my dad bought one and has been very happy with it.

http://www.redmax.com/node3928.aspx

I have a Shindaiwa and love it. It was expensive but it keeps on ticking. It came with a 90 teeth to the inch brush blade that is awesome, I have cut down 6 inch trees with it before I purchased a chain saw. It also has some expensive attachments that work quite well.
    I actually prefer my brush hog for most weed/brush cutting when I can get at them with the tractor.
    David B

I have the Stihl FS80 and really like it. It starts easy and the line is easy to put in. When I started lookiing, I wanted one where the line was not a major hassle and I didn't have to buy a new spool already wound each time. I also wanted one LOML could start and operate. I use the .105 line and it doesn't break off. It's about as trouble-free weedeating as you can get. I have no idea whether you can buy other attachments.

Do you want to go the tree hugging environmentally friendly route? Here is one option I spotted in Ireland a few years back...

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I purchased the Stihl FS90 last year and really like it. It allows adding different attachments which is one of the reasons I purchased it, even though I don't have any extras at the moment.

I also have a Stihl chainsaw so I can use the same oil/gas mixture in both.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Dan beat me to it but I was going to suggest goats!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Am currently looking at the FS110R model. Local dealer is having a small sale on Stihl right now too. Priced at $325.99 right now. I liked the sheep goats humor too. But have to say Baaaaaaaaaa/naaaaaaaaaaaa to that one. Trimmers and fertilizers all in one unit sounds nice though. On a side note my in-laws still raise Bohr sp?? goats.

Last year I bought a Honda 4 cycle. Works great and no mixing gas with associated problems.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I have the Stihl Kombi-system. It's a "4-Mix" - uses a gas/oil mix but 4-cycle so it's torquey.

There are a bunch of attachments and I've got 4 of them - weed wacker, hedge trimmer, power broom and sidewalk edger.

I've been happy with it. The nice thing is that the one power head gets used all year long (the power broom is great for the final scrape to get the snow off the driveway) so you don't end up with a piece of equipment gummed up from stale gas.

Dan,
    The tree huggers may not approve of your method of getting rid of weeds, them critters are destroying the ozone layer or some such nonsense.
    David B

Must not be much of a mark-up in weed whackers from Stihl. I told the salesman I would buy today if he threw in a $17.00 brush blade for free. He declined and I walked. I fully expected him to catch me before the front door. Much to my dismay, he didn't catch me. As today was the first time I mowed the lawn, maybe I'll be back tomorrow. Maybe Stihl has a nationwide retail sales price just like Bose does and this was an unauthorized sale price of $325.99. Reg. price was $349.99.

I did alot of looking, talking and research before buying my gas trimmer for my acreage. I bought a Husqy (Husquevarna), from the local Husqy dealer, not one of the big box models sold at Lowes. IMO, Husqy and Stihl are essentially Chevy vs. Ford, personal prefrence really....

I was told this at 2 local Stihl dealers on the multi attachment models (any brand multi attachment models).

People put alot of wear and tear on the little engines using attachments (tiller mainly), and will literally burn up the engines. The small engines weren't designed for such torque loads and they would be in the shop for a powerhead replacement sometimes within a year. One of the shops stopped selling that certain model and attachments because of the high number of problems.

Take that for what it is worth, I don't know of anyone personally that has experienced such (or anyone who runs the tiller for that matter). I'm sure the Stihl is an excellent machine, it is of course a "Stihl". I like the multi attachment machines due to the versaltility and have a Poulan with the pole saw attachment and hedge trimmer, but avoid the tiller attachment due to what I was told. By the way, the Poulan sucks compared to my Husqy string trimmer. Hard to start and ultra cold blooded for a good few minutes (and it's practically new).

I have the RedMaxx and have been very pleased...and it was purchased from my local Stihl dealer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi mark,
    I've had a John Deere that's been bullet proof (run over once even!) & I do some side work mowing and have been for 9 years now. I have not idea how many hours I have on it, but it's ALOT.
    The new model thats a clone of the JD is: http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCa...M=HO&link=enav

Bout the same coin as the other good ones.

Greg