Thread: Alumamark Sheets

Alumamark Sheets

I was going to purchase some of the alumamark product to do a 50th wedding anniversary plaque (Gloss Gold). No problem until I found that it comes in a 12x20 inch sheet and requires being sheared to the correct size. I don't have a metal shear and have not had enough business in this end of the business to warrant the purchase of a shear yet. The material is 0.020 inch thick. Has anyone had the same problem and if so, how did you resolve it and get a clean edge? Not looking for a cheap fix but inexpensive would be nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Honey and Coco
    Steve / Sandy Wallace
    Lasting Laser Impressions

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

Steven

There is no good way to do it without a shear.

Try one of the awards shops near you. They'll probably do it.

Be sure to take a close look at the settings recommended on the Alumamark site. This is a very sensitive material.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-30-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: additional info
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

STEPHEN,
    I use a heavy duty paper cutter to cut to size.
    Kenny

I have a repeat job that uses that about once every 3-4 months. I actually cut it with a straight edge and a utility knife. I'm very careful about laying it out and I use dial or digital calipers to mark the line for cutting. You can score it about 4-5 times and then it will bend and break fairly easy. I will then hit the edge with a file very lightly.

It's far far far from ideal, but if you don't have a shear, or know someone who does, it will do the job if you are careful and accurate.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input I will use it for sure. I have used the alumamark before but only the precut blanks. Think I have my settings down fairly well. I will post how it turns out. Thanks again. I know where to turn when I have a problem. You guys are great!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Honey and Coco
    Steve / Sandy Wallace
    Lasting Laser Impressions

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

I too have used a knife to cut it. If you are getting it from JDS they will cut it for a small fe.
    But alomnimark is so thin a good paper cutter will cut it and you can get a real good one for around $40
    Last edited by James Stokes; 03-30-2009 at 12:34 PM.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

The only problem you may find with a paper cutter, is the curved blade, and depending how sharp it is (you won't cut it with a Fiskars wheel type) is that it can put a slight curve in the metal & you have to flatten it out afterwards. It 'may' put a slight lip on one side or the other of the cut edge. You can fix this by cutting the plate about 1/16" over size then turning it over and trimming the edge again.. These are the problems I had back in the days before I bought a metal shear, and was using my 24" Kuttrimmer plastics shear for brass etc..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it