Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recession Victim - Again

Recession Victim - Again

Over the last few months my day-job has lost several business customers who folded & a couple more who just could no longer pay us - that has finally trickled down hill.

So for the 2nd time in 11 months, I'm unemployed. This time however, there was no severance package and no one standing in-line for my services - 21 years Oracle Database Administrator & IT Management.

Now I have a choice of eating and having a roof over my head for a couple more months or paying my taxes on April 15th. Guess which one I choose?

My laser business is surviving the recession, but it won't pay the bills. With the economic slowdown it takes care of it-self & that's about all. I would have to run that puppy 16 hours a day & at least 6 days a week to live off of it. Although I keep busy - I'm not even scratching at that level.

Sorry to complain - just needed to get it out.

Advice & job offers are welcome.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Hi Tim - I had to read your post a few times, and couldn't get past the 'shaking my head' phase. I hate to see people who WANT to work, unable to work. This economy really has taken its toll. I hope things pick up and turn around for you soon.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Tim, My day job is with Intel and I wish I could offer you some solace but I am afraid I may well be in your very same position. We are cutting 350 heads here in Arizona. I wish you the best as I have been in your position twice before. All I can say is that I have made it though both times. However, I am afraid this time could be a lot different. Best wishes to you and your family.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Honey and Coco
    Steve / Sandy Wallace
    Lasting Laser Impressions

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    So for the 2nd time in 11 months, I'm unemployed.
    Bummer Tim, sorry to hear that. In the best interests of hearing of you continuing to eat...

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf

No accountant needed.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Tim,

I wish I had advice or a job offer for you. This is terrible, and I'm so sorry it happened to you. I hope your laser will be of some help at least, you never know.

best, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

One solution is what millions of people do ....move to where the jobs are. We have lots of work here in Texas although you may have to get your hands dirty. There are many other places in the USA with better work possibilities still and they are listed here:
    Unemployment rates - Unemployment rates by state from CNNMoney
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Tim,

Sorry to hear about your layoff. I am sitting here today while a major computer company is laying off up to 6000 people. I work for a partner so does not directly effect me, but am seeing a lot of my friends end up in your position.

On a brighter note, are you able to relocate? I have two customers who were looking for Oracle admins, one I know is still trying to fill a Senior Admin position.

PM if you want names.

Todd
    Todd Schwartz - Des Moines, Iowa
    Universal VLS 4.60 (60W) / ShopBot Buddy / Sherline CNC Mill / MakerBot Replicator+
    CorelDraw X6 / Photograv 3 / FlashCut 4 / Aspire 9

I'm so sorry Tim. No having a severance package is a really bad situation. I've been laid off twice due to companies closing their divisions here and I know how difficult it can be. I don't have any ideas for you either, but I wish you good luck in finding something soon.
    Margaret Turco

60 watt Universal V-460, Coreldraw X4

Blog Entries
    I've been in that position three times, myself, possibly four if things don't turn around soon. The most recent hardship is due to the economy as a whole rather than poor leadership on the company's part, but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow. If anything, I'm ticked off at the greedy (and stupid) homeowners who bought too much house, and I'm PO'd at the banking industry that used predatory tactics to get those homeowners as well as relaxing their lending rules too much... at least if it was poor company decisions I could find another company to work for, but being global we're all SOL.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Sorry to hear about this Tim! I give you so much credit for talking about it, and I hope and pray that more folks will be able to do so. You are not alone, and communication is good. We are a family here and when one of us is hurting, we all do! You will be in our prayers!

Sincerely,
    Phyllis

Very sorry to hear that Tim. Best of luck trying to skip to the next chapter in your life. I'm sure you'll do just fine. Hang in there.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

What Scott said......I couldn't have said it better.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I'm sorry for your misfortune. We'll hope and pray things will turn around for you and your family.

Anthony and Amy
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Try to remember that after all is said and done God is in control. Pray for guidance and follow your heart. Diversification may the only way out for a lot of us. Good luck!!
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Camaster Stinger III, Vectric Aspire
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Lasermaster 8.5, LXI Master Plus, Corel X4, Photograv, design shop pro
    Knight DC16, DK3 Mug Press, Hix HD400D, GX7000
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

You are obviously a very smart guy. Have you considered applying for work with the FDIC? They need computer-savvy people. The downside is it requires extensive travel. The upside is, they are hiring.