Thread: Building Giant Letters & Numbers

Building Giant Letters & Numbers

Here is a quick 3D model of something I have to build this for my office

Just soliciting some input to see what the best way to go about it is. I will most likely build it to be about 6' high, probably out of MDF for ease of painting.

I'm mostly trying to figure out what's the best way to make the curves on the "5". Do I just use 1/4 hardboard around a carcass (both sides)? I'd prefer it to have a little more strength then hardboard. I was thinking of scoring plywood, but haven't ever done that.

I haven't met a woodworker yet who didn't have an opinion, so i'd love to hear yours!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Best thing I can figure to make the 5 would be to do a 4 and add a 1.....

But, looks like a challenging project.... Will be interested in what you come up with and what comes out of the creek.

Have fun, I'll be watching.

make a template out of 1/4 in mdf and then do it with a router on whatever material you want just my opinion I may be way off here.

Steve,

Its way off the mark I guess but have you considered making the letters from styrofoam sheet?

You could purchase 2" thick sheets, cut them with a router than glue the sheets together to get the thickness you need. Sand and shape as required then take them to a truck bed liner shop and have them coated and they will be tough as nails.

If one of our CNC guys is in your neck of the woods you might get some help cutting the letters, its a 20 minute job start to finish at best.

my2cents