Thread: Drawers that pull both ways?

Drawers that pull both ways?

I'm toying with the idea of a drawer that will pull from either side of a peninsula cabinet. I've never seen slides that pull both ways, any ideas out there? Thanks.
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

You could go old school and make runners for the drawers to ride on. Or get fancy and make a dovetail way for them so they don't tip over. But how deep is the cabinet? Too deep, and you'd need to access half from each side anyway, so regular drawer slides would be about as easy. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Seems like I saw these some time back. Take a look at Lee Valley. I don't remember how far they pull out though. My shop work bench I built many moons ago has the runners with the "slick strip" UHMW on the runners. Works great but be careful they don't fly out the other side.

I've seen a really slick version of that recently. The drawer was all wood, and ran on wooden runners inside the cabinet. The neat part was that it had rare-earth magnets buried in the drawer sides, and matching ones in the runners. Together, they provide a detent at the closed position. You can still pull it out either direction, but it wants to stop at that closed position.

One version of that rare earth magnet trick is shown in one of the Kreg videos, don't remember which one... Steve

Blog Entries
    Here's a source: Pull through 2 way slides I believe Accuride makes the actual slides.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

WOw - did you see the price for the 28" ones???? 2 grand??! I'm glad I got those old computer server rack slides for free. (albeit NOT 2 way)

I did what Jamie said. REMs to center the drawers on the old style wooden slides. Little candle wax. Smooooth.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I made old school wood slides on the one drawer like that I did some years back.

that's for a 50PK. about 41.00 each
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

I have a coffee table halfway built that has provisions for a drawer that pulls out both sides. I think it was from American Woodworker about 5 years ago.

Anyway, the drawer rests on a shelf, and is "stopped" by a rare earth magenet in the middle.

Lee Valley sells some low friction tape that works miracles for sliding wood on wood. I'll probably use that too, if I ever finish it up.

How far you want them to travel? I have some slides that go both ways, I think the travel is 7". They're yours if you want them, just pay shipping.

Thanks all! I need them to travel about 24", and I've bookmarked the site mentioned above. It's just what I'm looking for.

A couple years ago I built several chess tables that had a drawer that pulled through from either direction, with places for the chess pieces on each side. These cabinets are for a kitchen, though, and need to carry substantial weight, which is why I'll go with the ball bearing slides. Once again, many thanks.
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!