Thread: Best place to buy a TS Blade stiffener?

Best place to buy a TS Blade stiffener?

$23 at Amazon for the Forrest 5/8" X 4". Similar price for the 5".

Anyone have one laying around they'd like to see creating expensive sawdust, or barring that, point me to the link that gives Sawmill Creek some money when I shop Amazon? I had it before, dunno where the pesky link went. Feel free to insert missing link jokes here.<>

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or the classifieds forum, probably a 50/50/90 situation.

Thanks in advance!

Craig

No, it's not my list, or we'd have one closer than 100 miles to me!

PM me tomorrow.. I may have a CMT laying around. I can't remember if I threw it in a deal with a TS or not. Will check tomorrow to see.

Sarge.. in Lawrenceville.. Gwinnett Co.

To get to Amazon through SMC, click on "SHOP" in the bar at the top of any page.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Thanks.

Thanks, Dave.

PM sent, John.

Blog Entries
    I've been using a set of Craftsman ones for several years. About $10 IIRC.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Blade stiffenrs do very little and IMHO are just a gimmick to sell more hardware. Modern good quality saw blades like Forrest, Freud, Oldham and others do not require stiffeners because the blades are pre-tensioned during the manufacturing process. Any wobble in cutting caused y the arbor or poor alignment will not be corrected by stiffeners.

A well tuned saw is much more important. Use your money to buy a dial indicator, even a cheap one and do a thorough tune up of your saw. Part of this should be to measure the run out of the arbor.

I have two sets of stiffeners that were given to me. I used them once or twice, couldn't see any difference, so now they hang on the wall.

There should be several threads in the archives on stiffeners that will support what I am saying.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I was under the impression that the manufacturers of thin-kerf blades recommend use of a stiffener since the thinner metal is more affected by heat than thicker standard kerf blades.

I agree with you that standard kerf blades with expansion slots cut into the blade wouldn't necessarily benefit from use of a stiffener, but I think I'll go with one when using a thin-kerf blade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Moulton View Post
    I was under the impression that the manufacturers of thin-kerf blades recommend use of a stiffener since the thinner metal is more affected by heat than thicker standard kerf blades.

I agree with you that standard kerf blades with expansion slots cut into the blade wouldn't necessarily benefit from use of a stiffener, but I think I'll go with one when using a thin-kerf blade.
    Your blades should not be getting hot enough to warp and if they are stiffeners won't help much. Thin kerf blades should not be getting hot if the saw is aligned properly. My Frued 15+ year old (sharpened once) thin kerf 24 tooth rip blade also has expansion slots and never gets above body temp even after ripping several dozen feet of hard wood. It also leaves no burn marks on the wood (even maple and cherry) and few if any tooth marks on the sides of the boards that are cut. I have a 1-1/2 Hp Craftsman Table saw so cutting power is limited.

I don't know whose thin kerf blades you use, but call Freud at Phone: (800) 334-4107 and ask them.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Wink

I use plate on each side of the thin kerf blades for my RAS. Have for years with good results. Don't use 'em on the TS 'cause I use full kerf there.
    Did ya ever think that you could find sooooo many opinions?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Craig.... check your PM. I am sending you a FREE stiffner to try so you can form an opinion. I doubt anyone has any concrete evidence one way or the other. So.. just try this free-bie and if you think it matters... leave it on regardless it it helps or not. If you feel it doesn't.. take it off and hang it on your wall until the next scenario like this and pass it on.

Xmas is coming early for you this year. Enjoy the stiffner either on your saw or on the wall. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

It's on the way either today or tomorrow.. depends when I break away from several simultaneous glue-ups...

Sarge..

Thanks!

Thanks John!

I'll trt to form an opinion and take pictures. After I check the TS alignment.

The downside to stiffeners is that they limit the depth of cut. You can't cut any deeper than the amount of blade exposed outside the stiffeners. So if you have a 10" blade and your stiffeners are 5", the deepest cut you can make is 2.5"

I agree with Lee. Get a good thin kerf blade and don't mess with stiffeners. Or use a full kerf blade.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Shot out the tube and down-range.. subman. 15:45 hrs... USPS Priority mail...

Track # 0103 8555 7496 0677 6207

Probably won't scan until evening but should be heading to Montgomery Co. to-nite.

Sarge..

Did you notice how many were willing to give you one FREE? What does that say? Forrest brags on how well made their blades are and then wants to sell you a stiffener. Says something about their quality, or marketing.