Thread: MinWax Poly Rub Finish

MinWax Poly Rub Finish

Thought I would try something different than the HUT Friction polish that I normally use on most of my pens. Big leaf maple blank with 3 coats of poly rubbed on it. A little time consuming but makes a nice finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Billy

Color is great

Billy, The pen blank is great and the color is fanstastic, it realy shows the figure in the maple! I like poly for smaller things too, I did a mini HF yesterday with a few coats on it and it turned out like glass! Keep up the great work!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

That's a nice looking pen.

I'm new to this game, and I've been experimenting with different finishes. What's the best way finish a pen (or whatever) with Miniwax Rub-on Ploy?

Thanks!

Great looking pen Billy! Love the curl and the vibrant color!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great looking pen Billy. Do you friction the poly on or can you tell us your procedure for apply wipe on poly?
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

This is my first attempt at using poly wipe on, so I'm sure each person who has used it has their method they prefer. I took the easy way & just hand rubbed it into the grain. I put a small amount of poly on a blue shop paper towel & rubbed the finish in while turning the lathe by hand. Let dry 3-4 hrs & sand with 600 grain, clean up with mineral spirits, & then apply the next coat. I applied 3 coats to this pen. Next pen I may try 5 coats.

It did pay off though. I took this pen to school with me to show off. Had a buyer already lined up for this one, & ended up with another order for the exact same pen.

Thanks for the kind words... Critiques & comments are always welcome. I'm continuously trying to learn new ways to improve my skills...
    Last edited by Billy Tallant; 03-31-2009 at 7:27 PM.
    Billy