Thread: Laminate flooring uses...

Laminate flooring uses...

Anyone ever use it for other than walking on?

I'm wondering about using it for the tops of an extension table, TS inserts, stuff like that. I know that I can use it for the bottom of my miter sled. It's tough, slippery, what's not to like....

Any thoughts? It's tough to find melamine ply and the like where I live (special order).

I used it for the top of an assembly / finishing table. Glue and excess finish come off easy. I also used it to make a zero clearance insert for the table saw.

If you have scraps left over from a flooring job, then it's a great (and cheap) way to go. Stable and the factory-applied finish is tough as nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Moulton View Post
    Anyone ever use it for other than walking on?

I'm wondering about using it for the tops of an extension table, TS inserts, stuff like that. I know that I can use it for the bottom of my miter sled. It's tough, slippery, what's not to like....

Any thoughts? It's tough to find melamine ply and the like where I live (special order).

ZCI, workbench and router top, TS extensions

Flooring for a Fence

I used some of my leftover to surface a router table fence that had to be extra long. Worked out just fine.

I've tried this and it appears ordinary wood glues don't work well. What's the best way to attach flooring to a substrate like MDF or ply.

I used it as a top for the stand that my Jet mini is on. As far as attaching it, I just put screws right through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ellis View Post
    I've tried this and it appears ordinary wood glues don't work well. What's the best way to attach flooring to a substrate like MDF or ply.
    Jack,

Why do you want to attach it to a substrate?

As to wood glue not working, I suppose it depends on the substrate of the flooring. If it is plywood, it should work fine. How are you clamping?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I attached some to 1/2" sheathing with construction adhesive (the stuff in a tube like calking compound). You do a single panel at a time, which lets you press it down pretty well with your hands and body weight when you place it. I may have weighted it with bricks or something after that but I don't remember for sure. My application was a 6'x4' panel to use on top of carpet for a swivel chair in my computer room. I used a red oak pattern and trimmed the panel with real red oak and it was a perfect match. (I attached the red oak trim with Gorilla glue). It's held up well.

10. I second the construction adhesive for gluing it to a substrate. PL Premium bonded really well for me