Thread: Moving a SCMI SC-600 bandsaw need advise

Moving a SCMI SC-600 bandsaw need advise

I'm picking up an SC-600 bandsaw (700 LB) on friday and I need some help figuring out the best way to support the saw while in transit.

Here's what I have so far:

I'm going to place the bandsaw on it's back, on a trailer w/ the base facing my truck. I'll secure it w/ (4) 3000 LB ratchet straps. Since the top will be facing the end of the trailer, I'll be able to slide my cherry picker under the trailer and pick it up. Then move the trailer forward and lower the saw on a very heavy duty appliance dolly. My 1st thought is, will the bandsaw want to roll on its side during it's 100 mile trip? Should I build a couple of U-shaped forms out of 2x6's w/ bracing to help hold it up? Should I remove the table?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Trace

Part it out.

I suggest parting it out. I have the Grizzly 21" saw that's just under 700lbs. I took off both wheels and the table and it was manageable on a furniture dolly on its spine. I'd have taken off the motor too but the pulley was locked on the spindle and I didn't want to break it loose.

I moved the saw into my garage using this technique and was able to stand it back up with a little stabilization help from my wife.

Best regards,
    Brian (Daniel) Kincaid

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    I suggest parting it out. I have the Grizzly 21" saw that's just under 700lbs. I took off both wheels and the table and it was manageable on a furniture dolly on its spine. I'd have taken off the motor too but the pulley was locked on the spindle and I didn't want to break it loose.

I moved the saw into my garage using this technique and was able to stand it back up with a little stabilization help from my wife.

Best regards,
    Brian (Daniel) Kincaid
    Do you think it would ride on it's spine ok once it's lashed down? Just worried that it would tip over on its side during the ride home but then again the back of the base is large and square so maybe it's not an issue.

4. it probably wouldn't, but with the conditions of some roads, you may want to make som quick brackets, just one could possibly do it

I agree with Brian; part off the machine before loading it. I moved my 60cm Centauro BS this way in a van. I removed both wheels, table, motor, and blade guides. You will save tons of weight which will help when maneuvering the frame onto the trailer. The frame is strong so it should be able to survive the ride on its back. When I transported mine, I laid it on its side rather than its spine because this was the most stable position for the saw. Building U-shaped supports to enforce the upright position if you choose to transportt it on its spine would be advised.
    - Robert