Thread: Benchtop Drill Press - Opinions please

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa

Benchtop Drill Press - Opinions please

I have a workshop getting full of new tools and machinery, much of which will be shown next week in a workshop gloat!

Amongst my smaller tools are a number of Ryobi products, most of which I am quite pleased with... especially the One+ components (and I think I own them ALL! ). The one Ryobi product I am not at all happy with is the largest Ryobi Benchtop Drill Press. When initially pounding in the chuck (which is what the directions call for) it appeared to be fine, but there is a discernable wobble in the bits and I'm not getting a real fine hole. The table is awful, and the rack and pinion system has a LOT of play. What I DID and DO like is the variable speed control without having to move belts around. I also appreciate the built in work light and laser crosshairs. That being said, I'm done with this drill and won't use it anymore. (Anyone want a cheap Ryobi Benchtop??).

So... I need to replace it, and I don't have room for a floor-standing model right now, so I need a top-line benchtop. Price is not the concern, but I need accuracy and functionality. A variable speed system and Laser Crosshairs would be nice, but not an absolute. I want a more functional table, and solid fit and finish.

I would appreciate your opinions and reviews.
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Interesting.

I have that very same drill press and am quite happy with it.

I had bit wobble too, but traced it back to the bits, not the press.

If you do insist on replacing it, WOOD magazine did a review some time ago of table-top drill presses. It is something like a $3 download from their site.

They gave good marks to the humble Ryobi.

I like the One+ products too. I don't have all of them, but I'm getting there. Did you see they replaced the stapler with a stapler/nailer!??

Do you have the One+ trim router? I'm wondering how that is too. (PM me, so we don't get off your topic here)

I have a Delta DP350. I like it, especially the variable speed control right on the front of it. About $215 or so.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Dont buy the GMC drill press from lowes. that is the single biggest mistake i have made in my tool buying. A real drill press that can drill a hole bigger than 1/2" without stalling is my next purchase. I am considering the Steel city based on reviews here. For your needs, I would look at the Grizzly line of bench top DP.

Hello,
    +1 to not buying the GMC.
    While mine has been a huge step up from trying to drill anything using a hand held drill, it lacks power, quill travel, accuracy and ease of speed changes found on other benchtop models.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

when buying a drill press
    extend the quil down without locking it in position and then try and push the drill chuck back and forth looking for slop
    if it moves, dont buy it
    a drill press needs to be accurate

Delta DP-350

I agree with Myk. The Delta DP-350 is probably the best bench top drill press out there. It has the variable speed on the front and plenty of power. It doesn't have a laser, however. And be cautious moving it to your bench; it weighs a ton. It wouldn't be a bad idea to build a rolling cabinet for it to live on. You could add storage to that cabinet and save yourself the chore of moving it around.
    Last edited by Cole Dunlay; 04-01-2009 at 9:37 AM. Reason: misspelling

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole Dunlay View Post
    I agree with Myk. The Delta DP-350 is probably the best bench top drill press out there. It has the variable speed on the front and plenty of power. It doesn't have a laser, however. And be cautious moving it to your bench; it weighs a ton. It wouldn't be a bad idea to build a rolling cabinet for it to live on. You could add storage to that cabinet and save yourself the chore of moving it around.
    Thanks for that, but if you can find one more square inch of space in my workshop for ANOTHER rolling tool, I'll do it!!

The 350 seems to be getting a lot of recommendations. The reviews are mostly positive elsewhere as well, though a number of folks HAVE had some issues. Overall, it seems to be a good choice. Any other ideas guys??
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

How much distance to the table?

I have a very inexpensive / cheap drill press. I am curious how the better benchtops you are recommending do in:

1) Distance to table (mine is too short)

2) Depth stop (I can crank an extra 1/4" after the depth stop touches)

3) Crank consistency - if you lower the table and raise it again is the drill in precisely the same spot? (Mine has no crank at all. It is all by eye.)

I have, I admit, gotten at least $39 of value out of the HF drill press in the last 8 years.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    3) Crank consistency - if you lower the table and raise it again is the drill in precisely the same spot? (Mine has no crank at all. It is all by eye.)
    You cannot expect that from any DP. Until the clamp is tightened the table is free to swivel on the column and it's just about impossible to turn the crank without causing some lateral movement. Also it's worth noting that as useful as a crank / rack elevation mechanism is, it does not eliminate the need to tighten the table clamp before drilling.
    - Tom

Old Delta DP220 (bench top version) would be my choice. Multiple times cheaper than a new, chinese made import, too.

Frank, try removing the quill, cleaning it off, make sure there's no trash up the whatchamacallit that the quill fits in, reinsert the quill, open the chuck all the way, put a block of wood on the table and lower the quill onto it. use force to seat the quill. Then check again for wobble.

I don't know about "pounding the chuck in", but that sounds like a poor way to do it if you want to get it in straight.