Thread: Finish to 'pop' grain

Finish to 'pop' grain

I'm finishing up building a cabinet for my shop and the drawer fronts are going to be curly spalted maple. I want to pop the figure and have used BLO to do this in the past but was wondering if shellac will do the job. I have some super blonde thats been waiting for a job but have never used shellac before. I will probably use a lacquer for the top coat. I do have a can of acrylic water based poly but am not sure how this will build. Any suggestions?

The shellac will do much less well at popping grain than the BLO. Use the shellac (assuming it is dewaxed shellac) as a barrier between the BLO and the waterborne acyrlic if you go that way.

Blog Entries
    I would just apply the lacquer. It does a great job of popping grain. This box was finished only with Deft Clear Wood Finish. BLO tends to darken the wood.

Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Well, i do have some Deft gloss rubbing lacquer, so I did a test piece. I also have a gallon of CAB acrylic lacquer. I don't have an airless sprayer so I just might have to pick one up. I wouldn't dare use my shop air. I did some grinding today and had to wrap a paper towel around the exhaust to soak up the water. I periodically purge the water but it has been raining lately.

Id go with BLO myself, yes it can turn some woods darker but in a nice way most of the time.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I know that BLO will darken with age and the drawer fronts are spalted with some white flecks in them. I don't want to change the color of them too much so that's what inspired the question.

I'd go BLO but lighter than usual Test on a scrap piece first...
    Jerry

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    Well, i do have some Deft gloss rubbing lacquer, so I did a test piece. I also have a gallon of CAB acrylic lacquer. I don't have an airless sprayer so I just might have to pick one up. I wouldn't dare use my shop air. I did some grinding today and had to wrap a paper towel around the exhaust to soak up the water. I periodically purge the water but it has been raining lately.
    Dont you use filters and moisture traps? Every night I shut off compressor and drain both the filter/moisture traps and the compressor itself. During the day, if I use the compressor a lot, I just drain the moisture trap (about 10 seconds of work). Your lines should remain moisture free if you do this regularly and spraying is never a problem.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville