Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinder Light Bulb

Grinder Light Bulb

I recently picked up a Delta 8" variable speed bench grinder.

GR450_1.jpg

The grinder works well and does what I need for sharpening lathe tools and similar such activities. Typically I've been leaving the speed set to the slowest (about 1700 RPM). With a normal incandescent light bulb (Sylvania 60W) in the lamp this generally works okay. If I bump up the RPM though, it can cause enough vibration in the lamp stalk that the bulb will stop working. I guess the filament gets rattled and then breaks.

So, can anyone recommend a better bulb to use in these things that's more resistant to vibration and won't break? I'm hesitant to use or try a compact florescent bulb (the swirly looking things) in it as they have mercury in them and I don't need a toxic hazard to deal with if the bulb gets broken.

They have LED bulbs out now. Not shure how well they work or how much light they give off. Worth a try though.

I use fan bulbs.

Blog Entries
    Fan bulbs or "heavy duty appliance" bulbs. I have used CFL's as well. The real cure is a light not mounted to the machine. Take the stock one off, screw it to the side of a cabinet nearby and run a cord ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Also there are bulbs for garage door openers, look for the heavy duty bulbs.

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

Balance the grinding wheels. If the wheels are balanced they won't vi berate.
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

You can get " rough service " light bulbs ( like machanics use in drop lights) at any auto parts store
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Appliance bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Faurot View Post
    I recently picked up a Delta 8" variable speed bench grinder.

GR450_1.jpg

The grinder works well and does what I need for sharpening lathe tools and similar such activities. Typically I've been leaving the speed set to the slowest (about 1700 RPM). With a normal incandescent light bulb (Sylvania 60W) in the lamp this generally works okay. If I bump up the RPM though, it can cause enough vibration in the lamp stalk that the bulb will stop working. I guess the filament gets rattled and then breaks.

So, can anyone recommend a better bulb to use in these things that's more resistant to vibration and won't break? I'm hesitant to use or try a compact florescent bulb (the swirly looking things) in it as they have mercury in them and I don't need a toxic hazard to deal with if the bulb gets broken.

+1 rough service bulb they designed for your type of application
    Thank You
    Ed

Light

I'd use CFL. There isn't enough mercury in them to pose a health threat. Even the larger fluorescent bulbs, as long as you buy the ones with green ends, can safely and legally be disposed of like an incandescent bulb.

CFL's use less power and no filaments to rattle.

If you use incandescent, be aware that the on/off cycle is what usually determines the service life, as it puts a lot of thermal stress on the filament. If you use a rough service incandescent, leave it on for a minute before starting the grinder.

Balance the wheels with a dressing wheel if needed to reduce vibration from out of round or shape.

If new, especially if mounted firmly, it shouldn't vibrate that much. You may check for wobble and good mounting on the shaft, i.e. no debris on the arbors.

A piece of rubber or cork between the metal to metal contact in the mount can reduce vibration also.

I had the same problem and found a LED bulb somewhere on-line. A bit dim and greenish, but immune to the vibration at least. Eventually I attacked the real problem (wheel balance) with the Oneway system. Highly recommended.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hazel View Post
    +1 rough service bulb they designed for your type of application
    +2.

I concur with the recommendation to balance your grinding wheels, but the rough service bulb is THE way to go.

They are used in drop lights, and have both a thicker element (more durable) as well as coated light bulb to contain glass shards should it break.

Thanks for all the replies. I picked up some fan bulbs and that has solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Moulton View Post
    I'd use CFL.
    Am I the only one out there that hates these things? When I moved into my new house, just about every light bulb had been converted to CFL within the previous year, because the previous tenant was a cheapskate, and the local power company gave away a pile of "free" bulbs. I'd guess 40 or so of them.

I've been here a 1 1/2 years now, and there is one left. Mine have just plain failed that quick. They also start out dim, and gradually get brighter, they are a huge mess to clean up when one gets broke, the light color is goofy, and they look stupid.

Sorry, had to vent

Rough service bulbs have a coating over the bulb, so when one breaks, it should not shatter. They are supposed to have a stronger filiment as well. Best bulbs I've found are a "traffic signal" bulb. I use them for indicator lights on irrigation systems. Between the wind induced vibrations and the constant cycling, it's a pretty rough existance. These do hold up a bit better though. LEDS are an interesting option as well.

update... there are now no CFL's left, the last one has passed on to a better place. Apparently within the last couple days.
    Last edited by Steve Rozmiarek; 04-01-2009 at 9:57 PM. Reason: update

As said, get a "rough service" bulb. They have filament supports to function in situations of heavy vibration or where the bulb gets dropped.
    Howie.........