Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intarsia projects

Intarsia projects

Don't know if any of you are into intarsia but here are a few pics of some of the projects that I recently completed.

This is my rendition of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello as it may have looked in 1800. It measures 20"x30" with a cherry frame inlaid with bloodwood and holly. Over 800 pieces from 17 different woods. No stains, paints or dyes are used in my intarsia.

This next pic is a 1953 Ford F100 pick-up that a customer in Texas had me make a pattern and a kit for. It is in an 11"x14" walnut frame with holly accent.There are 175 pieces from 13 different woods.

This is The Chariot, a commissioned piece that I did for an Italian restaurant.It is in a 20"x24" walnut frame. There are 300 pieces from 22 different woods.

This is a set of intarsia coasters that I have been working on.
    The coasters and the holder are walnut. The background is BE maple. The apple and the cherries are bloodwood. The leaves are poplar and the stems are walnut.The bananas are Pau-Amerillo with ebony. The grapes are Purpleheart with walnut stem.I still have to pour in the casting resin to seal and protect the inlays.

Thanks for looking
    Mike
    midlothianwoodworks
    ---------------------
    Why buy it if you can build it

Mike,
    These are fantastic!! Very, very creative and unique. Thanks for sharing and hope to see much more of your art!

Nicely done, Mike. I must admit that intarsia is new to me but I am quickly becoming a fan.
    -==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
    Karlan Talkington

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day,
    that my children may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

Support the Creek! Donate Today!

Very nice work, Mike!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Those are awesome, Mike. How long does it take you to complete one of the larger ones? How about the small coasters?
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Hi all thanks for the comments.
    Brian to answer your question Monticello took about 150 hours, the truck took 30 hours , the chariot 100 hours and the coasters take about an hour apiece.Alot depends on the amount of detail carving that is involved.For instance Monticello has over 3000 bricks carved into the Bubinga and the cornices of holly also have fine details.
    Mike
    midlothianwoodworks
    ---------------------

Mike, Terrific work. I had never heard of "intarsia" before. A quick search brought up a pretty good explanation on wikipedia. I also found a site called www.sawbird.com. If you get a chance, could give us some information on the type of tools you used to create these pieces. Thanks John

Hi John
    Not counting the bandsaw,jointer,planer and routers that I use to mill out the frames, the only tools required to do intarsia are a scrollsaw,a rotory tool for carving and different sanders for shaping and contouring pieces. If anyone would be interested I have a tutorial that shows all of the steps that I use to create this type of art.Thanks
    Mike
    midlothianwoodworks
    ---------------------

Nice work Mike. Now we want to see birds and wild animals. Then a collection of flowers. That will teach you to have to much talent. LOL

Mike

Excellent work. Very unique pieces.

Mike, those are beautiful!!! I particularly love the choice of wood and grain for the sky in the Ford piece. Very, very nice work!

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Beautiful Mike.. It must require a great deal of patience to do a piece as these. I especially like "Monticello" as I have visited on several occasions and love everything about the house and grounds.

Keep up the excellent work and for me.. inspiration.

Sarge..

Wow - really cool!! I have seen this sort of thing before - like on a restaurant wall - and maybe at Woodcraft "library" section, too!

I always thought, that if you could do it without making it overbearing, that you could incorporate this sort of craft into furniture - perhaps lending itself rather nicely to rustic furniture for starters...

If you wanted a challenge, that is!

"Your mission, should you choose to accept it..."

Like - take that truck for instance - you could create templates of it so you could knock it out faster, of course... but you could make it into boys furniture... on the side of a dresser or headboard... Princesses for girls... you see...

Birds, animals, trees, acorns - on a fireplace mantel for a cabin... coffee table with similar and a glass top (or flatten/smooth it out)

You see where I'm going with this?

Maybe that will inspire me to try it! Thanks for the brainstorm!

It must take a stunning amount of patience to do that level of work.
    Simply gorgeous.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney