Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with an accent wood for mahogany

help with an accent wood for mahogany

I'm designing a writing desk for my wife and I want to make it out of mahogany, being my 1st experience with mahogany I'm looking for a wood for the accents on the legs and the panels for the top of the desk. I dont want a huge contrast like maple would be, but something to complement the mahogany. I dont have a finish picked out yet but it will be a darker natural look on the mahogany.

You could use an patterned inlay. A dark wood that accents Mahogany..hmmm... brass looks good on mahogany. Will need to think about it more for wood choices.
    -==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
    Karlan Talkington

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day,
    that my children may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

Support the Creek! Donate Today!

What about Teak or Nutmeg? both are brown woods and depending on your staining method could blend quite nicely, IMO.
    -==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
    Karlan Talkington

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day,
    that my children may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

Support the Creek! Donate Today!

Hi Jeff
    I do lots of inlays on the tables that I make and if you plan on leaving the mahogany natural then I would suggest Bloodwood as a good choice for the inlays.Mahogany will darken over time and the bloodwood really accents the richness .
    Mike
    midlothianwoodworks
    ---------------------
    Why buy it if you can build it

African blackwood.

O.T. Heh. Three responses from Va. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mathieu View Post
    Hi Jeff
    I do lots of inlays on the tables that I make and if you plan on leaving the mahogany natural then I would suggest Bloodwood as a good choice for the inlays.Mahogany will darken over time and the bloodwood really accents the richness .
    Mike, I like the look of bloodwood, the top of the desk is 24x54 with 3 panels in it, 2 at 9"x18" and 1 at 18"x24" would a bloodwood veneer still be a good choice for these panels?

The only other accents are some bands on the legs and the bottoms of the legs.

I'm not seeing bloodwood offered as veneer or I'm looking in the wrong place for it??

Jeff- Bloodwood would be very nice to use for the panels. It is extremely hard and would make a beautiful desk top to accent the mahogany.Not overly expensive either
    Mike
    midlothianwoodworks
    ---------------------
    Why buy it if you can build it

It would seem to me that both woods being red, the bloodwood might get "lost" in the mahogany.

Jeff-where are you looking? An alternative name for bloodwood is cardinal wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Willard View Post
    It would seem to me that both woods being red, the bloodwood might get "lost" in the mahogany.

Jeff-where are you looking? An alternative name for bloodwood is cardinal wood.
    Good point Jeff, when looking at samples they appear very close in color, but thats why I posted the question, I have no experience with either choice.

I've been searching veener supply websites and have only found a couple with bloodwood veneer and both were very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    I'm not seeing bloodwood offered as veneer or I'm looking in the wrong place for it??
    Certainly Wood carries bloodwood veneer for $1.25/sq foot, which is pretty cheap. I've bought it from them for accent work.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-01-2009 at 5:24 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Willard View Post
    +1, I think bloodwood would be a poor choice

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bott View Post
    +1, I think bloodwood would be a poor choice
    +2 Not enough contrast unless this is really pale mahogany. I know from experience that paduak and purpleheart will both end up being lost in mahog once things begin to darken. I personally think the maple might be one of the better options, but ash might be a good one or maybe even red oak.
    Use the fence Luke

My choice would be holly, followed by ceylon satinwood and maple, but it was stated that that much contrast wasn't desirable, hence, the recommendation of blackwood. I think the blackwood would provide enough contrast without getting lost, and at the same time, not be too contrasting. I don't work with veneer, so don't know if it is even available. If only a small amount, in small sizes are needed, you could always slice them yourself. Either way, it won't be cheap.