Thread: There is joy at the end of a board

There is joy at the end of a board

Nothing like pushing your own handmade plane down the length of a piece of 8/4 cherry and all you hear is the swish of the iron removing the finest shaving.

I don't use this plane very often but I had it out today and honed the iron and took it for a test run. Smooth as glass.

I made this plane about 22 years ago and always enjoy every minute I spend with it. It is 16 inches long and weighs 9 pounds and sports a 2 1/2" iron. The sole is 1/4" brass and the sides are 3/16". It took several months to find just the right piece of walnut for the infill.

Enjoy.

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Beautiful!

One of my desires is to make my own plane. One of these days...

jim

Ron, that is a great looking plane. But, it begs the question - Were there others? Surely after doing such a beautiful job on that one, you didn't stop?? We need to see more!

Did you make the blade, etc.?

Thanks for the comments guys.

John, this is the only infill plane I have made to date. I have one other plane I made back in 1982, a 24 inch maple jointer that that I use frequently, when I get tired of hearing the whine of the power tools.

I bought the blade for this one from Garrett Wade, I think. It's been a while ago, 1987.

For years I did a lot of house related woodworking projects along with working for a living and it didn't leave much time for special projects like plane making. But being retired I have all kinds of time for making chips, wood or brass. There might just be another plane around the corner.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Coleman View Post
    But being retired I have all kinds of time ......
    Ahhhhh! The sweet sound of retirement I still have about 5.678954398 years - not that I am counting or anything

Ron, that's a beautiful plane. Now that you are retired you should make a few more
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Beautiful! Just plane beautiful!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Mr. Coleman, I admire your dedication to the sport sir. Very nice.

Why dont you use that plane very often?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Comer View Post
    Mr. Coleman, I admire your dedication to the sport sir. Very nice.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rafael View Post
    Why dont you use that plane very often?
    I guess I feel it needs just the right piece of wood. Not for use on just any old board.

I working on using it more.

There are some boards here that should be just right. Since they are too big to send to you, maybe you should just send the plane here.

Phillip

I'm not sure if it would like Kansas boards or not, but I can tell you it sure has a taste for nice air dried walnut from southeast Iowa.

You don't even need sandpaper, just plane and apply the first coat of finish.