Thread: There is hope for the future of woodworking

There is hope for the future of woodworking

This past weekend I was exhibiting my wares at the NWA show in Saratoga Springs, New York. I gentleman and his Daughter approach our booth. She looked to be about 11 or 12 years old. As you can probably imagine I was a bit anxious when this kid walked right up and grabbed one of my infill planes, but it was immediately apparent that this was not the first time she had handled a plane.

She proceeded to pickup every plane on my table and take nice full width shavings. I was absolutely amazed and pleased. There is hope for the future of hand tool woodworking. I really wish I had gotten a picture of this occurrence.

Funny t-shirt observed at this show. In bold letters at the top of the shirt it proudly displayed what seem to be a very green statement for our environment:

"Earth First"

In small letters contained in parenthesis under that statement:

(we'll log the other planets later)

Have a good day,

Ron Brese

Ron,

FYI

"Earth First" is a radical environmental group that has injured many foresters and loggers over the years by spiking trees and damaging forest service property.

I believe the t-shirt is a slam at this group, and a good one, I might add.

When I was in forestry school, an old high school buddy of mine, bought me a subscription to their newspaper. Every time I got it, my blood pressure spiked. The newspaper consisted of articles describing exactly how to damage private and federal property without being caught.

Needless to say, I did not support their views.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brese View Post
    "Earth First"

In small letters contained in parenthesis under that statement:

(we'll log the other planets later)
    That is a very popular signature over at the arboritstSite.com forums.

This started as such a nice thread. An Earth without trees would be a miserable wasteland and unable to support much life. The radical loggers are no better than radicals on the other side.

Back to the first subject…

How wonderful to meet a woodworker who will have about 8 decades of experience in her lifetime. She'll be a terrific learner, builder, tool buyer, tool maker, and seller before she's done!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I surely don't support the idea of unwarranted harvesting of trees and do support the sustainable efforts that are going on. I thought this was just a bit funny.

I would certainly rather we put the emphasis on the little girl that was so comfortable with a plane in her hand.

Ron Brese

tells alot about her father

I hoppe my daughter will be like that!! She's 17 months and like to hang out in the shop with me!

I have a 5 year old daughter who also likes to hang out in the shop. Mostly, though, she likes to spin around on the stool.

I have a 4 year old daughter who loves the shop she wants to sand everything wich is about all I will let her do at that age. But she has aspirations like me. I cant wait until we can build bigger things than birdhouses together.

Kids have a tremendous capacity to learn and it's a shame that most school districts have eliminated their shop classes.

To help turn the tide our local woodturning club offers a young turners program several times a year. The kids learn some basic turning skills and end the day turning a top from a rough square blank. Everyone has fun and the kids are fast learners.

Have a look. http://www.donleman.com/cows/2009_yo...3-23/index.htm

Ron

http://www.centralohiowoodturners.org/pageHome/home.php

I was perusing the web the other day when my three year old stated "Look Daddy, a plane!!" He wasn't talking about the flying type, either.
    I was very pleased.