Thread: "Un-gluing" Question and Grizzly Customer Service Kudos

"Un-gluing" Question and Grizzly Customer Service Kudos

I am working on a guitar and I glued the bone nut to the neck with a couple of small drops of yellow wood glue. Now I need to remove it. Anything I can put on it to soften up the glue?
    I realized after I glued it that the neck is twisted so I called Grizzly (where I got the kit) and they are sending me a new neck, after I cut and finished this one. Good service worth mentioning I think.

De Glue works as advertised or try warm/hot water although the De Glue is a gel and tends to stay put so it can work to soften the glue.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

heat will soften most glues including yellow or PVA glue.

A heat gun works well, but even a hair dryer will work, just slower.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=heat

Mike

Blog Entries
    Unless it is a water resistant glue like titebond II or III, fold up a paper towel and wet it . Place the wet paper towel over the part you are trying to unglue, wrap the area with plastic wrap, wait over night or 6-8 hours and remove your part.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

There is an article in the latest WOOD mag about unglueing. The guy says he used his something he made that resembled his wifes neck warmer...The kind that is stuffed with dry rice. He put it in the microwave for a period of time to get it HOT and then wrapped it around the piece that was to be unglued. It was under and ontop of the glue joint. It said to let it sit that way for a while and the boards that were edge glued, just came apart at the glueline. It's an idea.

Since the neck's scrap anyway, a block of wood on the end of the nut and a whack with a hammer should do the trick. If they were small drops of glue, there may be no real damage to the wood anyway.