Thread: Recommend a water seal for Concrete

Recommend a water seal for Concrete

I am building in cabinets in the garage. I want to waterproof the foundation cracks since it won't be accessible.

Do you recommend Thompson's Water Seal or some other products?

No problems in the past, but now is the time to do it.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Look into a masonry sealer like DryLOCK. These type sealers paint on like primer but penetrate and slightly expand in the pores of concrete. You end up with a waterproof surface usually rated for 15psi water blocking. It is commonly used on interior crawspace foundation and basement walls.

FYI - a gallon does not go very far.

Assuming this is above grade, I have used several Benjamin Moore products,

http://www.benjaminmoore.com:80/bmps...h_findproducts

and

http://www.benjaminmoore.com:80/bmps...h_findproducts

Coverage on previously unpainted concrete is well below what the can indicates. If the foundation is below grade, it is advisable to avoid any topical water proofing agent applied from the inside to solve water problems as trapping water in the ground behind a masonry wall can lead to catastrophic results.

Cracks vs solid surface

For the solid concrete surface, as was posted, Dry-Loc will do for you. Pretty easy to work with in my - unfortunately large - experience. You can apply pretty much as many coats as you want, according to the company it adheres well to itself.

For cracks, though, you need a crack filler. Dry Loc makes one, comes in a little squeeze bottle. I've used it, seemed to work well. I've also seen masonry crack fillers that come in tubes like caulk.

I've found the local big-box places to have a good selection of these products.

Ken

Fill the cracks with hydraulic cement. That will seal out the water (not the humidity, though).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I am building in cabinets in the garage. I want to waterproof the foundation cracks since it won't be accessible.

Do you recommend Thompson's Water Seal or some other products?

No problems in the past, but now is the time to do it.

Brian

Thank you all. I'll get Drylock for the cracks between the slabs and some Waterseal that I forgot I had for general coating. This has not been a leak spot in the past. I'm just protecting against the future heavy rain season.

Thanks for introducing me into some new products.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Hello,
    I'll get Drylock for the cracks between the slabs and some Waterseal that I forgot I had for general coating.
    Skip the Waterseal inside and use Drylock.
    Waterseal works well outside, not inside.

Inside, you want something heavier bodied - such as Drylock.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon