Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Club challenge, What do I make?

Club challenge, What do I make?

Our club challenge this month is to make a miniture turning from a 2" cube of wood. Minitures are not my cup of tea, and nothing is coming to mind. anyone have any suggestions on what can be made out of a 2" X 2" X 2" block of wood?
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

a small box, a little hollow form

Bill

Brian - what could you turn if the block was 12" x 12"? Only your imagination would limit you! Take the same idea and just make it smaller! A set of bowls, plates, a hollow form, a set of candle holders...

Check out Jeff Nicol's gallery to see all of his minis: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=89

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Small goblet, small bowl, HF, etc.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Smile

a thimble? toothpick? no, but perhaps a sake cup - i've made a few from wenge. post a pic, whatever you make! mike

Brian,

Check out this thread for some ideas:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=itty+bitty

I was following this thread and got to teasing the turners. They got their revenge by sending me a lathe and tools. I've been broke since! But I smile a lot!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Steve, Thanks for the reference to my mini's! I was going to say the same thing!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Seems like you could make 15 or 20 real miniatures out of a 2 inch cube! Start thinking small. A ring box with lid - cribbage pegs and a bowl for them - a covered box full of little bowls.

A miniature teapot?
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Baseball

Sounds about the right size to turn a perfectly round ball and then burn the threading in for a replica baseball.

How about a small lidded box.
    Now I have to go in the shop to make one myself.
    Dave
    My money talks to me... It says Good Bye.

How about a tea cup and saucer?
    John Trax

Trim off the corners you won't turn on a bandsaw and set those aside, Sturn a flaring cup with a rim that curls back. Take a coping saw and cut out 4 sections to make the shape of an open flower. Take the corners and carefully turn the small filaments for the inside. Maybe use some acryllic paint or dye to dress up the wood if it's something planer grain. If you have a choice of wood i'd say maybe some Myrtle or Madrone for this.

Edit: Nevermind I noticed that the challenge was miniatures.
    Turn a 2x2 bowl and call it a miniature of (Insert club member known to spin big pieces of wood)'s bowl

Try a sphere in cube, promise you it'll be the only one there. Woodturning mag had a great article on how to do it recently. I wasn't able to find the article online, if you can't either let me know and I will give you a detailed how-to.

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Cleveland; 04-04-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Actually, I thought about that. I saw one several years ago, but I couldn't remember where. I have no Idea how to do it. but it would be great to learn how!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling