Thread: Finish on oak

Post Finish on oak

I just finished my project. But after my firest coat of stain, the finish went from very smooth to very rough. I sanded it again back to the smooth finish. My question is, will it stay smooth after my next coat of stain?

Are you using water bourne stain and finish? If so you are raising the grain and will have to sand between coats. I usa a wash coat or a sanding sealer first.

Yup...what Robert said.....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mcclaran View Post
    I just finished my project. But after my firest coat of stain, the finish went from very smooth to very rough. I sanded it again back to the smooth finish. My question is, will it stay smooth after my next coat of stain?
    If like the other guys suspect it's bkz the grain raised when using a waterbased stain, then you shouldn't have probs with subsequent coats.

A sanding sealer or washcoat will block the pores and inhibit the ability of the stain to achieve it's color. On blotchy wood, you might be willing to give up some penetration for the sake of evenness, but on oak, you shouldn't have that prob and therefore shouldn't need a sealer coat.

What you did is right: knock the grain down and stain again if you've made the color too light by sanding. You shouldn't have to sand that hard to knock the grain down.

Alternatively (for next time) what some people do is stain, then wash coat with dw shellac to 'lock' the fibers in to place, then sand down with moderate pressure. The shellac protects the stain layer to an extent and provides a good, smooth bonding surface for any kind of topcoat.

I was wondering if the wood grains were locked after the first coat of stain. I have sanded the piece smooth but have yet to put on the second coat of stain. I will be doing that tomorrow. Thank You for your advice.