Thread: Dust Collection Help.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dust Collection Help.

I have a 12 x 24' shop. It was built by the previous "handyman" incorrectly. It has a single pitch roof that leaks, has storm windows instead of real windows etc. It's pretty unusable. Instead of throwing bad money at it, I am going to tear it down and rebuild. I planned on doing it this year. My wife disagreed, won and it won't get done until I get a bunch of other things done (at least next year).

So, I moved the cars out of the garage to another garage, and set up a temp shop in my garage. I would like dust collection. I have a 1hp portable collector. I made a quick drawing of the lay out. I am just going to blow the dust down the hill. No filter. It's where I dump my saw dust now anyways.

My question is whether 1 hp is going to do the job or do I need a bigger blower. I don't really want to spend a bunch as the set up is temp. but would like it to work. Ceilings are 10'. I plan on 4" pipe/hose as I have a bunch of it already. One other thing to add. One of the jobs that is standing in the way of my shop getting done is planing, t&g and finishing enough pine to recover my house in knotty pine. Several thousand board feet. The lengths are up to 16'. In front of the garage is a car port. I would run another 20' or so from the table saw drop, to my planer, jointer or shaper so I can work outside. Basically, we are looking at 24 + another 20 feet on the intake side of the blower. Can I run another 24' on the output side of the blower? I can just build a collection box in the old shop, but would like to just blow the chips down the hill. When the shop is done, the blower will actually be mounted outside the rear of the shop, and blow straight out 3-4'.

What is doable and how big of a collector blower will I need? Any guesses?
    Attached Images Attached Images