Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jointers: What size do you have

Jointers: What size do you have

I am thinking of purchasing a new jet jointer but I am torn between the 6 and 8 inch versions. I can afford the 8 but am curious as to everyone's opinion on the size of jointers one would need for hobby woodworking.

So here it is: What size and brand do you currently own and what size and brand do you think would fulfill the majority of your needs?

I personally have a 6 inch older craftsmen jointer that has a warped table and fence!

I do a lot of work from rough cut, so I do a lot of face jointing, therefore the 8" suits me best.

If you're just having to do edge work, the 6 would be sufficient IMO.

I just upgraded to an 8 spiral head, well worth it IMO. I had a delta 6" and I found myself trying to face joint a 6.5 or 7" board a few too many times.

Bad news is I'm already eying the 12" models!

Shouldn't even be a question...if you can afford the 8", then go get it.

I started with an 8" and am extremely happy i did. Everything I've been using has been 7 inches or so wide, so it only made sense to buy the 8inch. (I had the lumber before i bought the tools.)

I purchased the Grizzly 490x (spiral inserts cutter) and am pretty happy.

Yes 8" seems to be the best bang for the buck. I looked into 6" models but everybody said to get the 8". I am glad I did but I also need to fix something on mine, dang motor is running backwards.

I have a Grizzly 12". Also purchased the spiral cutter head, but still looking for someone to press the bearings for me.

Buy a 3 footer, then you will never need a larger one!

In all honesty there is nothing wrong with a 6" jointer if you can get it for a decent price. But if you do a search on which jointer you will get dozens of threads. This question has been asked as often as which came 1st the chicken or the egg. If you can afford the 8" and have the space for it. But if the 8" leaves you a little tight on other tools and can get a 6 for a good price than buy the 6".

But it all comes down to what you are going to use your jointer for. If you will do a lot of face jointing, then you are crazy to go less than and 8". But if you will use it primarily for creating joint ready edges, then I would but the 6". I have a 6" and it is just fine for me. I looked at a couple of 8" last week because the prices were so low, but at the auction they went higher then I wanted to pay, but were still cheap. The reason i didn't buy is because the 6" has been large enough for 98% of everything I have done to this point.

I have a 6" and often wish I had 8". More for the bed length than the width.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Moore View Post
    I am thinking of purchasing a new jet jointer but I am torn between the 6 and 8 inch versions. I can afford the 8 but am curious as to everyone's opinion on the size of jointers one would need for hobby woodworking.

So here it is: What size and brand do you currently own and what size and brand do you think would fulfill the majority of your needs?

I personally have a 6 inch older craftsmen jointer that has a warped table and fence!

I have the 6" and wish I had the 8" not only for the width but also for the longer bed. Having said that, I wonder if I had the 8" if I would wish for larger? Maybe it's kind of like a shop. You always wish it were just a little bit larger.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

12 inch combo
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I had a 6" short bed for a long time and never really needed more capacity, but it was too light and I couldn't run long boards through it without nearly tipping it over. I got a deal on a used 12", and at 700 lbs. it's not going anywhere.

I have a Grizzly 12" with the spiral head and I am very pleased with it. I don't work with highly figured wood now but if I ever decide to I will have the option of skewing a 6"-8" board to avoid tearout. I do work with alot of rough lumber, so the ability to face joint wide stock comes in very handy.

Another point in favor of the larger jointers is table length. I know many will say that increased table length is really not that important but in my case it is. I make alot of my own moulding and have recently edge jointed some 8' plus boards. The extra long table on the 12" wide jointer really made this task easier.

If you can afford the 8" I would go for it. Even if all you are doing is edge jointing now, you never know when a pile of roughcut lumber is going to land in your lap and then you may have trouble face jointing wider boards with a 6" jointer.

My J/P is 350mm wide (~13.65")
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a 6" Jet and have occasionally wished for more width. In your shoes, if it's within the budget, I'd go for the 8" without question. The 6" handles the majority of my needs, but there are times I'd dearly love to have the extra 2". (No wisea$$ comments, please!)
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I have a 16" Unitronix & an 8" Powermatic 60.
    Go with the 8".