Thread: Jet JDP-17 Drill press chuck?

Jet JDP-17 Drill press chuck?

I picked up a used Jet 17 drill press and it has a RJ3-16L chuck on it. Anyone know anything about this chuck? I called Jacobs and they said that it was no longer a current model. I am trying to locate a key for it, as the previous owner lost it. Jet wants $14 for one! is this a good chuck to begin with? should I replace it with a better quality current one?

What chucks do fellow Jet owners have? any help greatly appreciated!

Is there anything to indicate that the chuck is sub-par? If not, just buy the key. Far cheaper than a new chuck.

Jay, I have the Jet JDP-17MF (don't know if the MF makes a difference). Have had it for almost 10 years and have used it with everything from my smallest brad point all the way up to 2"+ forstner bits and circles cutters. Never had any problems with the chuck.

Unless you can see that there is something physically wrong with the chuck, the $14 pricetag (albeit ridiculously high) is still cheaper than a new chuck.

By the way, the high price is probably due to the built in safety device. The key has a small metal shaft that pokes out from the center nipple of the key. It's spring-loaded so it retracts when you insert it into the chuck. But let it go and it pops out and pushes the key out of the chuck. I assume that this was in reponse to people leaving the key in the chuck and starting the motor.

I have a whole drawer full of all kinds of chuck keys and not one of them will fit the Jet, including some I have for similar sized chucks. So it's unlikely to find a third-party key that will fit.

Be well,

Doc

My Jet JDP-17MF drill press has a 16m/mEL chuck. Very nice with smooth operation. I got this chuck from Jet when the drill press was under warranty. The original chuck (I don't know the model number) developed a problem with binding. Jet replaced it free.

Take the chuck you have off the drill press and take it to a local tool store. Maybe you can buy a key that will fit locally.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 04-04-2009 at 10:57 AM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

if it is a jacobs chuck it usually has the key size stamped on it. for that size it would probably be a k3 key. my feelings about that safety pin so you don't leave the key in the chuck, if you are that dumb to leave it in you should be hit in the head with it!!!

Thanks for the input all! There is nothing wrong with the chuck, at least that I know so far.

I was at Hartville Tool today, and they had a key that supposedly fit all their 5/8" chuck drill presses, so I tried it! IT WORKED...it was tough at first, as it hadn't been opened in a while...to top it all off I got 20% off!!!

We shall see how it works. So far I DON'T regret spending the $175!! Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Klass View Post
    ...if you are that dumb to leave it in you should be hit in the head with it!!!...
    Tom - I agree!!! I'd imagine you'd only do it once! Maybe that's what happened to the original key for this one!!!

Jay, congrats on finding a cheaper alternative that works. And nice gloat by the way...$175 for this drill press is a steal!!!

One additional upgrade I'd recommend...change the stock belts out for some link belts. They really smoothed the vibration down for me.

Be well,

Doc

Jay:

I have the same problem with the same chuck. I bought a used Craftsman drill press for a song but, no chuck key.

What chuck key did you end up getting so that I can try to get one also.

My drill press is a Craftsman 13 inch variable speed with a 5/8 chuck and is 2/3 hp. Model #: 137.229130

I am posting this in case anyone else has this problem. The chuck key that fit my drill press was a Jacobs K3 model chuck key.

The measurement that is most important when shopping for one of these keys is the pilot diameter. Mine happened to be 5/16 which put me on the right track in ordering one online.

I looked many places locally before ordering the right one online.

I hope this helps others because it was a real PITA to find the right chuck key for this drill press but, at the end of the day the drill press was still worth what I paid even considering the difficulty of locating a chuck key.