Thread: Does your lathe spin perfecty true?

Does your lathe spin perfecty true?

I bought a vs mini (steel City) Heard good reveiws, price and it has a 5 year warrenty. When I got it set up it had a bad bearing noise and a slight wobble on the drive shaft. So I called and they sent me new bearings and shaft. I put them on and the noise has stopped but when you use the drive spur or my chuck you can still see a slight wobble. Is this exceptable? What else could be wrong? I have done some spindle type turnings and they seemed to have turned out ok.

My big oliver has an 1-1/8" shaft and I had to have a spindle adapter made for it, to mount a chuck.. Well, $90 bucks later it doesn't run true. The only problem I've found is when I turn a lidded box. One side will be slightly thicker than the other so the lid will only fit in one spot, where the joint is true all the way around. It's not bad, spindles still come out true, and bowls are not a problem either..
    "Goverment is not the solution to our problems. Goverment IS the problem" - Ronald Reagan

I had the same prob with a jet mini lathe. It worked fine until I put a mandrel or spur drive inside the spindle. The inside of the spindle was not true. I put another spindle on it and its fine now.
    Buddy