Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The economy may be soft, but it’s not dead!!

Thumbs up The economy may be soft, but it’s not dead!!

The economy maybe soft, but it’s not dead. Every year I build a piece of furniture for my son’s high school charity auction. This year I built a wine cabinet based on a tall cabinet designed by Dave Jones (Australia).

Based on past year’s experiences, if this piece was auctioned off last year, I figure it would have auctioned for around $2,500. But, given the economy, I was expecting the piece to sell for ~$1,500. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when it was sold last night for $2,100!!

I was wondering what others have found concerning charity auctions…

Details about the piece:

• The legs are made from wenge… my buddy gave me about 20 old rough sawn boards he found in his new house. This included an 11 foot 2.5” x 6.5” piece of “unknown” wood. I threw this ratty looking rough sawn piece of timber into my planer and out came a beautiful piece of wenge. (I was like kid opening a present on Christmas morning )... I wonder how much that board was worth??? I guess I owe him a case a beer??

• The door knobs are also made from wenge.

• The case is made from plywood from Menards for $40. Now before you start laughing, I was buying some baltic birch plywood at Menards and notice some highly figured maple plywood. I dug into the pile & found 3 unbelievable sheets with lots of quilting & birdseye. (My local commercial plywood shop sells 4x8 sheets of birdseye maple for $300 a sheet)

• The door frames are made from quarter sawn maple and the door panels (and case back) are ¼” birdseye plywood (from Menards again J) … You can’t tell from the photos, but I cut the door panels to match with the case back.

• Talk about luck... checkout the second photo... the dark streak in the maple plywood fit perfectly into the "V" created by the legs.

• The piece is 6 ft tall, 2 ft wide and 16” deep.

• The cabinet will hold 12 bottles of wine and 12 wine glasses. The wine bottle holders are pocket screwed to the sides of the cabinet from the back. (This way the load is transferred to the sides and to the legs)

• I used Miniwax wipe on poly. I used satin except for the top of the shelf where I used gloss. (for better protection and to really show-off the quilted maple)

• I was very pleased with the ergonomics of the piece. Everything just feels right… the shelf is 40” and the perfect height to set/pour a glass of wine. You can easily read & grab a bottle of wine (without stooping) and wine glasses are at eye height and easy to reach.

Comments welcome.

Enjoy!!!

-jj
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joseph j shields; 04-05-2009 at 2:02 PM.

Joe,
    I really like the design. It looks modern but still very functional. Congrats on bringing a good price for the auction. BTW I just went on a vacation due to a charity auction. People may not be spending as much but they are still spending.
    Greg

Very nice, jj. Great find at Menards. Bet that doesn't happen often.
    Good price at the auction, too.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Charity auctions seem to be dependent on a few things. The area it is in, rural, city. Type..school, church. People.. poor church, wealthy school, etc. The next time you go to one look around and see who is there. I made a small recipe box with a battery clock built into it. Oak, dovetail keys and a little brass handle on top. Sold for over $70.00. Took a nicer one to a local store. Could not get $40.00 for it.

Two things. One, people will spend more at charity auctions than in stores because it's tax deductible and you get a warm feeling donating to the charity. Second, you probably have a reputation/following among those who attend this particular auction. I'm willing to bet that some people will now attend to find out what you've made because they have seen the quality.

Good economy or bad economy. It doesn't matter because your piece looks great! Nice work.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    Two things. One, people will spend more at charity auctions than in stores because it's tax deductible and you get a warm feeling donating to the charity. Second, you probably have a reputation/following among those who attend this particular auction. I'm willing to bet that some people will now attend to find out what you've made because they have seen the quality.
    Are charity auctions tax-deductible?
    (didn't think you could deduct if you received something for the donation (?))

BTW, nice piece for the auction.
    What would you estimate total materials cost at? (hardware, banding, etc.)

Matt

Not only the contrasting wood selection looking superb,the leg design really gives it the elegent look.Nicely done----Carroll

I don't know from charity auctions personally, but in the paying world things aren't dead either. Not as hot as they were four years ago, but not dead.

Your piece is beautiful. Very good work sir. I'm sure the buyer must have taken great satisfaction in getting such a fine piece of furniture at such a gentle cost. Seriously, you can pay that much for a POS from crap and barrel, so to purchase a carefully hand made custom commission made of actual hard wood at that price is real value. Congratulations and cuddos.

Beautiful...

Joe - that is a beautiful piece for a great purpose....

In Canada, both BMW and Mercedes sales are up, as is Hyundai

Thanks for the kind word about the piece...

Also, thanks for the comments about charity auctions. I have to build something for my church auction (1st week of May)

Based on what you have said & this piece's price, I'm thinking about building 2 medium priced (& sized) pieces, rather than 1 expensive piece.

ps,,, I just heard from the owner's of this wine rack and they love it in their home

QUESTION TO ALL... what would you think if I would have added a very small/simple piece of maple molding to the top of this piece??? good idea or bad???

-jj

The molding would be totally unnecessary. How did you finish the plywood edges? Beautiful project.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meyer View Post
    The molding would be totally unnecessary. How did you finish the plywood edges? Beautiful project.
    I just used the iron-on maple veneer tape... I did go thru several rolls to find the best match.

-jj

Hi Joseph, How did you make the bottle divots for the neck and the base? Im building large wine cellar but was just going to use rails for bottles to sit on. Since it will hold 1000 bottles it may not be condusive to do it your way but im intriqued.
    I assume a router and a jig?