Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you're thinking about buying a new Unisaw or PM2000-- WAIT!!

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa

If you're thinking about buying a new Unisaw or PM2000-- WAIT!!

Folks, a number of us on this board have been field testing the upcoming SawStop Cabinet Saw (called the "Professional Cabinet Saw"). It is going to be marketed directly in competition with the new Delta Unisaw and Powermatic PM2000 series.

If you have been contemplating purchasing one of those saws, you would do yourself a great favor by WAITING until this summer when the new SawStop is released to the public.

Those of us who have been field testing are OVERWHELMED by not only the fit and finish, but by the functionality, ease of assembly, and the included accessories. It is one GREAT saw and is going to probably outsell the others by a large margin. PLUS... you will get SawStops patented safety brake system.

Don't end up with buyer's remorse until you've had a chance to see, or play with this new saw when released this summer. Three words describe this TS:

"WHAT A SAW!!"
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Can't wait to buy one....when my PM66 dies. If it ever dies. Seriously though, the entire saw stop concept and product is a great addition and innovation in the US wood working world. Will they tackle a slider or a small slider soon?

Even if you tore out the safety features, it sounds like you'd still be left with a saw that is on par with, or better than, just about anything else on the market, and for probably about the same price.

I get a warm fuzzy feeling seeing a start-up company like SawStop manage to produce a product that rivals what a big company like Delta can

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Thanks anyway, I’ll keep my Unisaw.

Just think, a few short years ago the internet forums were aghast at the audacity of Saw Stop trying to force their technology (no matter how great) on the other table saw manufactures.

Now they’re the cat’s meow.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

For what it's worth, I just got a new Grizzly cabinet saw and can't imagine another cabinet saw being that much better (for 3 times the price).

Safer? Maybe. Better? No.

By the way, Grizzly now has a new 10" 3HP cabinet saw with a true riving knife for about $1200. The other saws with riving knives mentioned in the this thread are more like $3000. Also, the new Unisaw is the only one made in the U.S. (mostly).

I opted to get the older Grizzly G1023 because it was cheaper and time-tested, but I do think the newer Grizzly is worth serious consideration if a riving knife is important to you.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Thanks anyway, I’ll keep my Unisaw.

Just think, a few short years ago the internet forums were aghast at the audacity of Saw Stop trying to force their technology (no matter how great) on the other table saw manufactures.

Now they’re the cat’s meow.
    Last edited by Jason White; 04-06-2009 at 8:03 PM.

Sounds about right make us all buy a foreign made saw

I completely believe the new SawStop is an amazing saw. I also completely believe the price will hover on either side of $5,000. Too rich for my blood.

Just curious, what kind of price point is this SawStop PCS gonna be in? Recently, I specced out a new PowerMatic PM2066 to the tune of around $4700.00.

9. Industrial Cabinet Saw?

A few months ago I had my first serious thumb cut on a table saw in 50+ years of using one. A 3 hr visit to the emergency center and a residual loss of nerve function in my thumb, prompts me to seriously investigate a safer way to enjoy my hobby. After considerable internet research on SawStops Industrial Cabinet saw I was about ready to bite the bullet for SawStops CB31230 model to replace my 20 yr old Unisaw. Frank or others, whats your opinion of the relative merits of this versus the newer Professional model that you are testing?
    Thanks
    Dwight Boesiger

10. I dont know about the rest of you fellas....................I would love to have one. My pocket book tells me differently. I bought a Delta Unisaw that was about a year old, with a bunch of accessories, for $1300.00 a couple of years ago. (A GREAT DEAL in my opinion) and i love it. The Saw Stop IMHO is just too high priced. I know, and your right, that no price should be put on safety, but I saved my you know what off to get the used delta unisaw, and there is no way I could do $5000.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I completely believe the new SawStop is an amazing saw. I also completely believe the price will hover on either side of $5,000. Too rich for my blood.
    Actually, the new saw will be around $3000 complete with fence and rails for the 3HP model... and they MAY have an optional 1.75HP model somewhat cheaper.
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

Ben Weingarten

5K will prevent this...sold!...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Boesiger View Post
    Frank or others, whats your opinion of the relative merits of this versus the newer Professional model that you are testing?
    Thanks
    Dwight Boesiger
    The new saw is about 200 pounds lighter with a little less cast iron in the trunnion. Full cast iron table and extensions and much more mobile (with the mobile base option). It's a 3HP only (currently), though they may have a 1.75HP option. It's basically the Industrial Cabinet Saw Jr.

Fit and finish is AWESOME, and the operational aspects are just as sweet... and that's BEYOND the trademark SawStop safety system. They have built an incredibly well-designed saw that will retail around $3000 with fence and rails as standard.

Ben Weingarten

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Roberge View Post
    5K will prevent this...sold!...
    That's for the INDUSTRIAL Cabinet Saw. The new one is the PROFESSIONAL Cabinet Saw and won't be available until this summer. (Around $3000 for the 3HP)

Ben Weingarten

Ok for the price of around 3k I would at least look at it. I never even stopped to hover over a SS before just because of the ridiculous price.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.