Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fine WoodWorking Survey

Fine WoodWorking Survey

Thought this was interesting while taking the survey:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ken

My presonal opinion is that sawmillcreek is easier to navigate and much more active than Fww site. The other problem with Fww site is that here are a handful of bozo's on there that tend to take over threads and get arrogant and rude and turn the threads into a flame war.
    I check a couple of sites everyday but only check Fww twice a week and hardly ever post.
    Tom

Wow, thats funny!

I am annoyed that as a long time FWW magizine subscriber that I do not gain access to the "pay" area of the site. I feel like they are trying to charge me twice for the same thing. I cannot go to the site without quickly being blocked from content, and so I avoid the place. I have more than once considered canceling my magazine subscription over this point.

All my other magizine subscriptions come with access to their full web content, so IMO FWW seems to be churning subscribers.

I've been posting at FWW for years. As Thomas stated.. there is very little "policing" done and you have a host of characters using screen names behind a key-board so a simple question can often turn into a "Wild West" shoot-out. The site is not for the thin-skinned and those that can't tolerate the flavor of an occasional bar-room brawl.

With that said.. there are many extremely know-ledgeable and experienced professionals who monitor and post on the site. To deal with the other characters Thomas mentioned.. you simply have to Ignore some as wading through the site can be a challenge at times that requires a set of hip waders to keep from being sub-merged in muck.

Sarge..
    Last edited by John Thompson; 04-07-2009 at 11:21 AM.

I don't think it's a bad idea. They offer their content in two different types of media. Hardcopy print, and online. They charge seperately for both with a discount to the hardcopy subscribers who want online access. Offering content online is far from free. It might be the same content, but it's an additional cost to FWW to make it available that way, probably more so than you imagine. They can offer the separate $15 a year for online access or they can increase the subscription rate of everyone a few dollars and force every subscriber to pay for it. I'm for having the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Murphy View Post
    Wow, thats funny!

I am annoyed that as a long time FWW magizine subscriber that I do not gain access to the "pay" area of the site. I feel like they are trying to charge me twice for the same thing. I cannot go to the site without quickly being blocked from content, and so I avoid the place. I have more than once considered canceling my magazine subscription over this point.

All my other magizine subscriptions come with access to their full web content, so IMO FWW seems to be churning subscribers.

I just completed the Fine Woodworking survey. I think they have made a mistake by trying to compare themselves to Sawmill Creek & some of the other sites. SMC & some of the other sites they ask about are forums only. The forum on FWW is a small part of there website. I go to the FWW site for different reasons than I come to SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gombola View Post
    I don't think it's a bad idea. They offer their content in two different types of media. Hardcopy print, and online. They charge seperately for both with a discount to the hardcopy subscribers who want online access. Offering content online is far from free. It might be the same content, but it's an additional cost to FWW to make it available that way, probably more so than you imagine. They can offer the separate $15 a year for online access or they can increase the subscription rate of everyone a few dollars and force every subscriber to pay for it. I'm for having the choice.
    I agree with Chris.
    I also like having the choice & I do not have a problem paying extra for the web access.

I like both sites as both are informative, but trust the advice I get at Sawmill Creek a little more.

Terry

Funny, I changed computers and lost this site link. I searched and ended up everywhere else but back here. (Doh') but, when I got the survey and the name right.... I found home again. So, Thank them for that anyways. The survey was interesting but lengthy...

(I clicked my heels and wow!)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Fields View Post
    ...The survey was interesting but lengthy...
    It was a bit long wasn't it. I wonder what the curve is where people start off with good intentions and then just start clicking through at random. Seems they'd get more accurate feed back if they would have kept it short. Anyway, our names are in the hat for the goodies
    ken

Did the survey introduce Sawmill Creek or was this a followup question after asking what other forums you read?

There was a list of other sites and SC was one of them which was the only one I checked that I visit. I suspect that if I had choosen any more I'd have been prompted to answer like questions for each site...
    ken

WOW, that survey was long. I just wanted to enter to win a dust deputy, not apply for a mortgage! By the end I was clicking randomly just to push through the thing. I recently stopped my subscription to FWW, I subscribe to the online site now, I buy the paper copy when I find something compelling. I don't mind paying for the on line content and have watched many very good videos there that may be worth the price alone. I have browsed the forum but did not care for the general format or the flavor of the conversations. Knots is it called? Not really why I go there to begin with.

I started to take the survey. But it became tedious and I bailed.

I spent 10 minutes answering questions as I would have liked to enter for the Dust Deputy give-away. As Mark.. I bailed also as I just don't have that kind of time for surveys with a piece of furniture in full swing down in the shop.

At the point it seemed end-less.. I had to go and I don't need a Dust Deputy that bad. And.. as far as me actually winning the dust deputy.. my chances are about as good of finding a winning Mega Millions ticket laying on the ground in a parking lot. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Ya'll have a good one and I hope you won...

Sarge..