Thread: Maple lidded box w/ burnt lines

Maple lidded box w/ burnt lines

I turned some of this maple I got, and worked to get a really tight fitting lid. And I was able to do it. Makes a classic cork "pop" when you remove the lid. I saw some work with the burnt lines on it, and decided to try it. I stripped a couple of twisty-ties of their paper casings and used the inside wire held by a couple of needle nose pliers. Drilled it out with a forstner bit and re-chucked it to remove the little hole at the bottom.

If you're reading this, be sure to sign up for the pen exchange at the top of the turner's forum thread-page!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like that design

Great Box!

Very nice box looks great like the lines.

Saw a demo by Jimmy Clewes he had a great idea finish the inside of your box with some mineral oil mixed with some smelly girly oil so when the women open the box they get that pleasent smell.

He also said that woodturners are the only ones who like a snap fit on boxs. If you want to sell your boxs make a lose fit so the ladies can open it with one hand! He is right about that! George
    Last edited by George Morris; 04-08-2009 at 7:08 PM.

Nice lidded box Ben. My wife is always wanting me to make those. You did a great job and I love the added lines, great touch.

I guess you're right, George. What would be the practical applications of a snap-tight fit, other than hearing the cool sound?

Also a good idea for the oil/smelly stuff finish. I will try that when it's warm enough to do outside so I don't think about the shop.

I meant "stink up," not "think about." I think about the shop quite often.
    Last edited by Ben Gastfriend; 04-07-2009 at 8:27 PM. Reason: My stupidity.

I think this is excellent and I really like the overall design and execution. Great job!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Ben:
    Nice box. I love making these things. I have been hollowing mine with a shop made hollowing tool but when time is tight that forstner comes in handy.
    Have you read Raffan's book on box making? He does some amazing things.
    All the best.

Don

Ben, very nice piece.

Here's a thought from Richard Raffan: The curve in the lower portion extends through the lid.

One smooth curve from the base to the top of the lid.

Try one with that look and see what you think.

Best regards,

Tom, in Houston, trying to get a fair curve on a 9" pecan blank
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Ben - very nice work on this! Nice form, finish and I do like the detail lines! So far, I have only made one box and it has a pop top lid. Maybe they don't sell well but I made mine over 4 years ago and it still pops when opened! Something about that - that I like!

Keep up the good work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great looking box Ben. I agree that Raffan's video on box making is awesome. I love his back hollowing cut.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.