Thread: Pens and pencils

Pens and pencils

Here are some Corian and other pens and pencils I've done. Comments welcome.

Bill

Great looking pens and pencils, Bill! I love that Corian. Thanks for showing them.
    All the best.

Don

Corian is definitly one of my favoritie alternate materials to work with, because of the eye-popping results like these.

To what grit do you sand, and what finish do you use, if you use a finish?

Those are nice looking, and I really like how you matched the pen and pencil sets (let someone put that between their teeth and start chewing). I got a bunch of the Creek's corian pen blanks and they are fun to turn and polish up nice with micromesh, and are great for giveaways as well as using around the house and work.
    Michael
    Bellaire, TX

Bill - real nice work! Love the 3-D texture effect you get!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Bill those are some really nice looking pens. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nicely done on all of them. Did you have to put two pieces of corian together to make a blank or were you able to get 3/4" stuff??? If you had to piece what glue did you use??? Can you detect a seem.
    John T.

Those are some very nice looking pens.
    Billy

Lot of nice writing tools!

Bill, You have done yourselve proud! That is a great bunch of pens and pencils! The colors are wonderful and really catch the eye!

Great job,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Nicely done on all of them. Did you have to put two pieces of corian together to make a blank or were you able to get 3/4" stuff??? If you had to piece what glue did you use??? Can you detect a seem.
    John,

You can make pens from 1/2" thick Corian, the trick is that you must drill the blanks perfectly straight so you have to tune up your drill press and jig.

If you want to glue up to get thicker material you can use CA glue. Make sure your pieces are perfectly flat and clean the surfaces with denatured alcohol, your glue joint will be seamless. This is the same technique some people use to get multiple colors of Corian in their pens and accent details. Not many use the Corian adhesive for adding color fill but it is a great option as well. For instance you can turn a band around your pen then fill the void with Corian adhesive, then turn it again once the adhesive has cured.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, I enjoy turning Corian more than cast resin because it is a little more forgiving.

Ben - I sand with the Corian sanding pads I got from Woodcraft and I do not use a finish. I polish after sanding with Corian/solid surface polish from HD.

John - The larger pens are from 3/4" Corian. I have glued up 1/2", as Keith says, to make larger pens with colors I can not get in 3/4", but I have found that with some colors the seam shows no matter what I do.

Bill