Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update: Grizzly loses a customer.

Thumbs down Update: Grizzly loses a customer.

Pardon me fellas while I rant for a moment...

Original post located here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=86922

First off, I realize that the G0555 is a good bandsaw for the money from all of the rave reviews about it. However, I still kept my expectations low because I knew that it was a relatively cheap bandsaw. (I wasn't expecting a MiniMax.) Even so, the vibration that was in the saw that I received was unacceptable to me. Would you expect your new bandsaw to visibly shake when you turn it on? Mine did. Would you expect your new bandsaw to pass the nickle test? Mind did not.

So I went through the process of troubleshooting with Grizzly on the phone. They sent me some parts and I replaced them. The vibration did not get better. I examined every part of the saw that Grizzly told me to examine and could not find where the vibration was coming from. They finally agreed to let me ship it back to them for an exchange.

Now they tell me that their technicians have looked at the bandsaw and find nothing wrong with it. What?! Are they blind? Do they not have any feelings in their hands and arms? Did they even try the nickle test? My questions go unanswered and the only response I get after talking to 5 different people is, "I'm sorry sir, but the technitions have determined that there is nothing wrong with the saw. I do not know what specific tests they have ran." Bah! Hindsight is 20-20, but now that I think about it, I should have taken a video of the way the saw was acting when I had it. Then I could prove to them that it was vibrating/shaking.

Since they didn't find anything wrong I now have to pay for return shipping. By this point, I'm extremely frustrated with Grizzly and decide that I don't want to exchange anymore, I just want a refund. Now I find out that since I'm not exchanging it I have to pay a 10% restocking fee!

So now I'm out shipping to me, shipping back to them, and a 10% restocking fee for a grand total of $150! That was an expensive lesson to learn, but I have learned my lesson.

Grizzly will never get another dollar from me.

Wayne
    Last edited by Wayne Johnson; 07-31-2004 at 11:40 PM.

Can't help with your vibration problem, but FWIW, I can't balance a nickel on edge on any of my machines even when they are turned off!

Wayne

Sorry you had problems, and I can understand your frustration with the decisions that Grizzly's customer service department made.

I would encourage you to share with Grizzly the postings in this and the prior thread. (You might have to print them out and send via snail mail) SMC can become a potent influence with manufacturers if they become aware of the wide number of people who read about our shared experiences. I, for example, have a very positive view of the Festool organization based on the information that I have read in other postings.

Right now I have a negative view of Grizzly, offset a bit by the other members' comments about their experience with their machines, but I am certain that the customer service department didn't consider that their job was to make you a satisfied customer, what ever it took. Now all they have is a person who is a negative advertiser -- I don't blame you a bit.

When I was doing my kitchen remodel, I bought my cabinets from IKEA and had them shipped down to Florida. When the first shipment arrived there was some damage, and I was very upset until I contacted their customer service team. Their first comment was, what is broken, we'll send you replacements right away. Do you need pictures/the other stuff back I asked? Not at all they said, we trust you. Just throw the broken stuff away.

As you can guess, I am an IKEA advocate, not a critic. They had subsequent shipping problems, but they never let me down.

Hopefully we can help other companies understand that the cost of correcting a problem is far less than the loss sales resulting from negative publicity. Just how many of us are there now in SMC? Think about the collective impact we can have!

Hi Wayne - Sounds like you're having a rough time with them, and I'd be upset too. Sometimes CS is only as good as the person on the other end. I wouldn't give up on that $150 just yet. They have on occassion gone above and beyond to remedy a problem if you persist. I'd try giving Bill Crofutt a shout and see if he can help. If a good 14" BS within your price range is what you want, I still think there's a good chance they'll make things right.

billcrofutt@grizzly.com

Jay -- Why? Should I do the same for the crappy Ridgid or Delta stuff I have bought? You don't have to go around blasting to everyone, the word has gotten out here.

Wayne, Personally, this is an isolated case. I've purchased three machines from them and only one had a bit of problem and it was not their fault but some jackass from delivery who dropped it. Grizzly stood behind the purchase and made it right. So, I am sorry to hear about your problems and too bad you will not stay with them, but its your right. All I ask is that you provide the same feedback if you get a defective unit from another manufacturer.

All have their problems.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine
    Can't help with your vibration problem, but FWIW, I can't balance a nickel on edge on any of my machines even when they are turned off!
    ROFL!!!!!!!

Good one Carole....!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    Jay -- Why? Should I do the same for the crappy Ridgid or Delta stuff I have bought? You don't have to go around blasting to everyone, the word has gotten out here.

Wayne, Personally, this is an isolated case. I've purchased three machines from them and only one had a bit of problem and it was not their fault but some jackass from delivery who dropped it. Grizzly stood behind the purchase and made it right. So, I am sorry to hear about your problems and too bad you will not stay with them, but its your right. All I ask is that you provide the same feedback if you get a defective unit from another manufacturer.

All have their problems.
    Good points made well there Scott.

But....my one severely bad experience with Grizzly a few years back is the reason why I don't buy and have never bought Grizzly tools again.

Shoot...I ain't partial to any one manufacturer.....when I get a bad product, I blast them in the correct perspective....Delta, Jet, Porter-Cable, Grizzly, DeWalt, Campbell-Hausfiled and Excalibur are just a few that I have "flamed about" over the years due to poor service or bad tools out of the box.

Everyone can't make a perfect machine all the time.....but after all, it IS the CS that makes or breaks a company after the sale.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Scott

Please focus on the thought not on the company. I think it is important for all of us to know that there is good stuff and bad stuff out there, and if Delta etc are also crap so be it.

The point I was trying to make is that the companies might not realize that they aren't just dealing with an isolated individual, but when we have bad experiences and share them, it has a potential collective impact on that company's sales.

No one is perfect and product defects are likely to happen. The important thing to me is what happens AFTER that defect becomes apparant. Does the company blow off the customer (didn't seem to happen in this instance, they did send replacement parts) or did the stay the course until the problem is corrected. (That certainly didn't happen)

The web brings a ton of power to consumers because they can share their experiences, both positive and negative, to a much broader audience. We should use that power appropriately, not threaten, but to highlight what is "right" and what is "wrong" with our purchases. I place far greater trust in the experiences of those who actually use something than I do in the advertising claims in the magaizines. So, companies have to learn that how they treat one customer now has a far greater impact on thier reputation.

As a relative novice, I depend upon the collective information I pick up on SMC, it is wonderful to be able to interact with people who make their living doing what I do as a hobby. Hopefully, our collective impact can raise the bar with companies to improve their products and services.

Guess I've had too much coffee and too much time on my hands! Hope I haven't rambled too much.

Jay

As a retailer of power tools, I have had problems with products of amost all of the manufacturers. Most of them take the time to make things right when I call. Shop Fox hasn't been the exception...they have tried to make it right and only failed once on my end of the business. Delta, PC, Jet, and most of the others have also had pretty good records, but all have had their share of failures, too. Most of the time, it just took a little more work on my part to get things done, but we always work it out to keep the customer happy. Customer service is my best selling product at our store.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt

All have their problems.
    Scott:

I respectfully disagree with your comments. You may be a happy Grizzler, but what about Dennis? Or the next Dennis? One disatisfied customer is too many. I believe Wayne has the right as a consumer to rant or complain. If people did not complain than we as consumers would suffer even more.

Thanks Wayne for Bringing it to our attention.

Perfect Example of Customer Service
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10559

Best Customer Service to All !!!
    Last edited by Rich Konopka; 07-28-2004 at 6:30 AM. Reason: Ooops on Name
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Jay -

I have to agree with you. I have been doing woodworking for a few years now but still consider myself a newbie. I use the internet very much for research on my tool purchases (not to mention other purchases). Granted, it is human nature to pass along a complaint before a praise but it is message boards like these that seem to balance the scales. I rely on the personal expriences of those who have had the opportunity to use the exact machines that I am looking to purchase. Recently I decided on a bandsaw. It was the input from this board and others that helped me with my decision. Out of the manufactures that was on my list I decided to go with the one that had the highest praise in regards to their customer service (the saw received great reviews also). The other manufactures had CS reviews that went both ways.

I greatly appreciate hearing both sides of personal customer service experiences. As others have said every manufacturer will have "bad days" with their machines. I just like knowing that if / when I need their support it won't be like pulling teeth to get their help. It's bad enough that the equipment has failed - we call them looking for support, not to make us feel worse.

Brian

Well--Guess I gotta jump in here.

I have quite a mixture of tools in my shop. A lot of the machinery I use daily is Grizzly. I have been quite happy with how they perform and last.
    I had one issue when I bought their 20" planer, and after a phone conversation and some new parts and a couple hours work, ended up fixing it.
    I cannot complain about that as I was shopping for price at the time. For what it cost, 1199.00 delivered, compared to the same looking delta planer that cost 3500.00, I could well work on it some.
    Everything else has held up great. True, the fit and finish isn't as nice as some other manfactures tools, but hey, I don't have a tool show room, I use my tools to make a living daily.
    Would I buy again? Depends on what it is and what it costs.
    As for posting a rant, if ever,I do not do that till the last dog dies and there is no hope of ever recovering from a bum deal. It really gets under my skin when someone posts before they have ever even contacted the manufacture about a problem. Don't get me wrong on that statement now Wayne, as you have been trying to get something worked out with them already before posting.
    I would keep on them till satisfaction sits on your side. As in one of the posts above, get ahold of Bill. He seems to get things worked out when no one else will at Grizzly.
    Steve

I have emailed Bill and asked him to come read this and my previous thread.

My intention was not to bash Grizzly products. Like I said, I bought the bandsaw based on other woodworker's praises of it. I just think I got a bad one. In fact, I have owned a Shop Fox cabinet saw for over a year now (which is the Grizzly G1023L equivalent) and have been extremely pleased with it. I've recommended it to several people.

My intention was to relay my negative experience with Grizzly's customer service - something that I have not had to deal with up until now. It is my opinion that customer service is what makes a company. My personal experience has found Grizzly's lacking.

You were right to return the bandsaw. Any company can produce a "lemon" but will they stand behind the product and do what it takes to make it right? Obviously Grizzly dropped the ball on this one so it makes me wonder sometimes about their commitment to customers. IMHO Grizzly should exchange your bandsaw for another and test it before shipping.

Great customer service was one of the most imporant reasons why I bought Mini Max. equipment.