Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw tracking question

Bandsaw tracking question

I have a Centauro 600 I've been puttering with for a while and have gotten it running (new bearings, tires, brake, etc). Since I'm probably going to sell it (it's bigger looking at home) I don't want to crown the tires since the next person may want to use a wide blade and hang it over the edge.

Any way to get this thing to track a 1/2" blade which is all I have? Don't have the guides on, but will they keep it from sliding backwards once they're on for it to be useful?

Thanks,
    Rich

The answer is "NO".

The blade should track without touching the thrust bearing (rear bearing) when you are not cutting anything. The blade shouldn't engage the rear bearing until it's actually cutting.

I have a MM-16. With the saw UNPLUGGED...I open the upper door......I retention the blade and then spin the upper wheel by hand watching the tracking. I adjust it as necessary until the blade hangs of the the front side or outside of the upper tire. I want the gullet of the blade to not be on the tire. Once I am able to spin it by hand at a pretty good rate and it's tracking well. I close the door...plug the saw in and turn it on for about 3 seconds and shut if off. After the blade quits turning, I open the door and check the tracking. If it's still good, I close the door and turn the saw on for about 20 seconds. I then shut it off and check it one more time. If it is still tracking normally, I turn it on and cut wood.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    The answer is "NO".
    I adjust it as necessary until the blade hangs of the the front side or outside of the upper tire. I want the gullet of the blade to not be on the tire.
    I'm a bit confused. Are you using a blade that is wider than your wheels? My BS has a stated maximum blade width of 3/4" but it rides completely within the width of the tire. Would I be able to safely use this overhang setup and use a 1" blade?

Jay

4. glue then crown the tire, i just did mine 2 days ago. Super smooth. You wont regret it. My 20" has solid cast iron wheels, one has a run out of .03 over the 20". The crown totally eliminates the run out if dressed on the bandsaw.
    Last edited by tyler mckenzie; 04-09-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Aren't some euro saws flat tired? I could be wrong on that, but seems like I heard it someplace. The problems with tracking a blade with the gullets on the tire are that saw dust can build up under the blade easier, and cause vibrations, and the teeth will wear the tire quicker. That being said, Ken is right, but there are an awful lot of 14" Delta clones running with the teeth near the middle of the tire.

The flatness will make it more difficult to track, it will be more touchy about adjustments, but it would work to just run your 1/2" blade in the middle of the tire someplace. Expect a little more tire wear, but if you plan to sell it anyhow, oh well.

Shish guys, we really hit it from all angles all at once!

Jay...as Steve said Euro bandsaws use a flat tire...no crown.

My MM-16 is a Euro...made in Italy.

I currently have a 1/2" blade on mine. I adjust the tracking so the part of the blade that is riding on the tire is right behind the gullet. The gullet and the teeth of the blade hang off the front edge of the tire.

Only smaller blades would be centered on the tire....say my 1/4" blade.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-09-2009 at 2:35 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ok, so my tires are crowned on my Rikon so I can't use this technique?

I have the exact same saw, its called an SCM-600, made by Centauro. I restored it and remember exactly the issue you are talking about..

Mine has flat tires. I replaced the origional flat tires, with flat tires.

I remember this like it was yesterday. It was Ken Fitzgerald who told me how to set it up.

Anyhow, I rolled it by hand (motor off) for quite a while. Then gave it some short bursts of power. It helps to mess with the tracking a bit and figure out how sensitive it is.. (by hand of course).

If I can help at all, let me know. I have had great success with the saw .. absoultely love it.

Mine is a 1989. The saw is still made today by Centauro .. If yours is of the same age, it should look like this.

A few years older and it will be a bit different shape?

The saw is still made by Centauro and called the CL series. They are heavy weight cast iron machines.

Last edited by Rick Fisher; 04-09-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Rich,
    I can't add much but i would like to see a pic of your saw. I have a Centauro that size. I think mine is faily old. It Cast Iron and I have no model # or Serial #.

Interesting about hanging the gullets outside the tire...I just slap my blade on...spin it a bit to make sure everything is on and looking okay...then go to town.

I've never paid attention to WHERE on the tire the blade sits. Maybe I should?

I have more than adequate dust collection so I doubt it would build up at all.

Still, it makes a certain amount of sense to not have sharp teeth constantly digging into the tire....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Rick, thats still a danged fine looking saw.

Mine was a full restore. Really trashed. It was a labor of love .. financially its cost me too much to ever recouperate.

I dont see myself selling it, so it doesnt matter. The cost is already fading in my memory but the saw is still my favorite tool in the shop.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    They are heavy weight cast iron machines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meazle View Post
    It Cast Iron and I have no model # or Serial #.
    Cast iron machines? Sorry but are these not welded steel? The table,trunion, and wheels are cast but the rest?

I run my blade center on the wheel, cut a strip to see drift. If alot then I adjust the tracking. After that I adjust the fence slightly to match drift.

Adam

Guess I'll try playing with it some more when I get some time.

It's older than the other one pictured, but getting better!

Have to say it's fairly easy to work on. The bearings were fairly simple to replace, as was the brake (except for the $90 part).

Fits by a couple of inches too!

Rich