Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much you paying for cherry lumber in your area?

How much you paying for cherry lumber in your area?

I picked up a little over 400 bf, of cherry lumber, #1 common, 4/4, dried (steamed) for .75 a bf. I had been waiting for it to come down because of the economy and boy did it. A few years ago I bought it from the same place and paid 1.85 for it.

This is the first time I've used steamed cherry lumber. I think I'm going to like it. They (at the lumber company) showed me the difference in the pack of lumber I bought and just plain kiln dried. I had never seen the two side by side, it looks like the lumber I bought doesn't have any sap (for me thats a good thing).

If a person had a way to transport and with enough cash in hand, you could probably buy a lifetime supply of cherry at or probably below what I gave for it. Talking to some of the workers there it has been real slow since the elections, and they weren't shipping anything overseas. All there sales of late have been in the U.S. He also mentioned they had several workers laid off. It looked like they had thousands and thousands of board feet of cherry, walnut, white oak, poplar (one told me they had over a million board feet dried).

I hope this is okay, and I'm not affliated with the lumber company, but here's some info: Roy Anderson Lumber, Tompkinsville, KY 270-487-6590
    p.s. I don't think they're interested in selling small amounts, probably 250 bf would be a minimum, as they are a big outfit and anything less would probably not be worth their time. I also don't know whether or not they would ship common carrier - might be worth a shot. One last note, they showed me their market report they rely on and it showed .90 - 1.00 per thousand on unbroken packs, but having cash on hand I was able to negotiate some...

Robert

.75 a board foot!!!

I thought I was doing good last weekend when i got about 250 bd ft. for 1.25

Oh well, better try harder next time

Brent

For 8/4 cherry I paid over $10/bd ft in February. This was kiln dried 3 sides planed.

I paid $273 for 23.3 bd ft.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    I'll keep that lumber yard in my notes! We'll probably be moving to Cincinatti this fall, and living on the KY side.

I'm already scoping out where I'm gonna buy lumber, and this one is a definite!

Thanks for the post
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

I thought I was getting a good deal on 4/4 S3S for $3.25/bf. Usual price around here is ~$5/bf.

Clearly, the OP was just disguising this stealth gloat as a question

Blog Entries
    I can't get rough stuff very easily around here but 4/4 s3s is pushing $5 bf.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

At the only hardwood dealer in Tyler who carries Cherry, it's $8.00 per bf for S3S.

I'd get 1000 bf at the price you paid.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Up in my part of Canada, its about $6.50.

Shorts are about $4.25

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post

I'd get 1000 bf at the price you paid.
    Ain't that the truth!!!

$8 a bf from a retailer, $4 a bf from a local drier (has his own kiln), $3 a bf from semi-local cutter air dried for select large boards. $1.50 for #1 common from same cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    For 8/4 cherry I paid over $10/bd ft in February. This was kiln dried 3 sides planed.

I paid $273 for 23.3 bd ft.
    Sounds a lot closer to what it is here. CL had some for about 7 a bd. ft.. and that's better than the store.

Last I checked in the fall it was around 4.50bf for S4S select from a local mill.

.75 cents a BF?

I would think it costs more than that to cut the trees down, WOW.

I'm envious. At those prices I wonder if a road trip would be worth it.
    Last edited by Brent Leonard; 04-10-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Greetings & Sa;utations,

Local retailers in Memphis area are $6.50 - $8.00 BF and the mill I last bought from up in Missouri was $3.25 BF dried, skip planed.

Too bad I am not flush with cash right now or a road trip would be in order.

Gene
    And to think it only took me 2 weeks 26 hours and 43 minutes to get that top flat.

3.50 to 4.00 around here, rough sawn, kiln dried.

You can't even get knotty alder for .75, and it is pretty much the cheapest wood in this area. I think knotty alder goes for 1.00. I paid 2.00 for 8/4, but it was clear alder
    fledgling weekend warrior