Thread: Wood Gloat..Cherry

Wood Gloat..Cherry

....An arborist friend showed up at the house this morning with this truckload of cherry from one of his jobs. Now to sharpen up the saw and get to work. Reminicent of that famous " you're gonna need a bigger boat" line from Jaws, my wife came out to look at the pile and said " you're gonna need a bigger bucket of Anchorseal!!"
    Attached Images Attached Images

How fabulous! That wood looks great. I just bought to small cherry logs for $25. Eeek. Guess I should have looked around harder for some good wood.

Congrats. Enjoy turning it all.

Joshua

Excellent gloat! Cherry is my favorite wood to turn and you have some major chunks! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Talking

Pics or it didn't happ...

Nevermind, nice haul.

Jason

Congrats Ted. That is a great haul. Can't wait to see some turnings from that wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

great haul, that really is super

Nice haul! gotta love cherry, especially when its saved from either a chipper or a woodstove...

Sigh...

Maybe one day I'll see that in my driveway...

Now that is a great gloat. Congrats on having an arborist as a friend. You lucked out, some of that looks like it'll make some 20" bowls.

Looks like a turning party at Ted's house!! WooHoo!! Oh, wait a minute. I think I was dreaming. Nice Haul Ted I Love Cherry! I've got a Wild Cherry at work that I need to cut up this weekend. It's small enough to be a branch on that monster you have.

Great score, I can only imagine what it must be like, nothing like that grows anywhere near my location, gotta go wipe this drool off my shirt!

More Pics

Well I wore myself out and managed to get a few blanks cut. Flying a desk for 30 years is not good preparation for wood wrestling. Turns out several of the logs had the pith riddled with ants, but still good blanks left--just not quite as big. Drinking green tea instead of beer isn't all that it's cracked up to be either!! I'd love a live edge table slab from that big log but I think it's too big for a portable bandmill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great series of photos Ted! The wood is even more impressive now than when I first saw it! You are going to get some beautiful turnings out of this! Especially if you can incorporate some of the ant holes!

I don't understand why anyone would drink green tea as opposed to beer..... but that's just me. Hope you are able to move tomorrow! I know I would have a hard time getting around after horsing all that stuff around while cutting!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thumbs up

SWEET!!!
    Maybe you should pour the green tea into your beer?
    Very nice haul. This will keep you too busy though. I think you should send some out to California..ME..
    "In spite of the Cost of Living, it is still popular"

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Well I wore myself out and managed to get a few blanks cut. Flying a desk for 30 years is not good preparation for wood wrestling. Turns out several of the logs had the pith riddled with ants, but still good blanks left--just not quite as big. Drinking green tea instead of beer isn't all that it's cracked up to be either!! I'd love a live edge table slab from that big log but I think it's too big for a portable bandmill.
    Ted, I have cut 30" logs on my Woodmizer and is one of the smaller ones. It will cut a slab 28" wide. The newer bigger machines can do larger timber so I think you could find someone to cut it for you. Nice pile of wonderful wood! You will be busy for a while, have fun!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown