Thread: Bill Grumbine Ruined My Life! aka Strength of the Vortex!

Talking Bill Grumbine Ruined My Life! aka Strength of the Vortex!

I was privileged recently to take a three day turning course with Bill thru the local turning club. After previously spending many frustrating hours creating only sawdust, firewood and shrapnel, my life now will never be the same.

My once clean Mustard Monster is now ankle deep in shavings, the bandsaw is a mess, the shop is awash in sawdust and even a corner of the back yard is covered in chainsaw sawdust since I was lucky enough to score a bunch of mesquite "firewood" on the same weekend. Everything is spinning! It's that vortex thing!! I'm being sucked in-n-n-nnnn............

Seriously, I highly recommend Bill Grumbine's classes. He is an accomplished craftsman and all around great guy. I enjoyed the three days spent in his class and appreciate the skills I aquired there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rich Boehlke; 04-11-2009 at 1:20 PM.

Before taking Bill's class my best effort was these 2 beginner bowls. Now that I know what they are, they can be correctly classified. They were only produced after many hours of sanding, not fun.

The mahogany bowl was produced in class. It is 8" in diameter and 1.5" high.

The bowl on the left was also produced in Bill's class. It is walnut, 5.5" in diameter and 2" high. On the right is the first turning done at home from my mesquite score. It is 6.5" in diameter and 2.75" deep. Both were finished with Watco oil and buffed with the Beall system.

I still have a lot to learn but the progress is gratifying.

Very nice bowls. It's great that you got to take a class from him. I bought Bill's DVD's a few months ago and they are very good.

Dave

Rich - congrats on being to take Bill's class! I can only imagine all the info shared! I have Bill's DVD and still refer to it as a fast refresher course in what to do!

Congrats also on your wood score! Looks like you will be able to turn a lot of bowls out of all that!

Nice bowls! Really like the mesquite bowl that you turned at home! Beautiful wood! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Cool

I'd like to think I had a hand in this but I'm more than happy to let Bill take the blame.

Jason

Yes you did, Jason. I couldnt have done it without your help. Many thanks!

Congrats Rich. Bowls are looking good. I would not part with the first two because a couple of years down the road you will get a chuckle like I did.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'm privileged that he's 15 minutes from my house tops. He's an interesting fellow to learn from.

Congrats Rich! Bill is a talented turner and instructor!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Derhammer View Post
    I'm privileged that he's 15 minutes from my house tops. He's an interesting fellow to learn from.
    Lucky, you! Next time you see him, tell him I said Hi.

Looking good. Love to hear another person getting further and further sucked into the vortex. Nice to hear that class was good. Looking forward to pictures of the mesquite.