Thread: New Drill Press: Question about table raising mechanism

Question New Drill Press: Question about table raising mechanism

I just bought the 16.5" Jet JDP-17FSE from my local Rockler on sale for $299 (stealth gloat ). Assembly went smoothly for the most part, but I have a question about the mechanism that raises the table.

The DP has a rack along the DP's column that is used with a crank to raise and lower the table. There is a bracket that braces the rack and can be tighten with a threaded lock handle.

In order to be able to move the table up and down, this lock must be tight, but not too much (otherwise, the table won't move). My problem is that every time I raise or lower the table, it swings from side to side (not too much, but enough to take it off-center with respect to the chuck). If I tighten the lock even further, the table stops swinging, but now it's too tight for the crank to work. So now, once I reach the desired height, I have to swing the table so it's centered again and then tighten the lock handle so the table stays put during the drilling operation. I have checked the rack, and even though is not perfectly flush with the column, I wouldn't say is warped enough to interfere with the operation.

I am a complete newbie, so maybe this is how it's supposed to be; but I want to find out if there's something potentially wrong with it.

Congratulations on your new drill press. My JDP-17 has that same characteristic. I always figured it was part of the design of the machine. I loosen clamp, crank table to desired height, align table, tighten clamp.

Blog Entries
    What you describe is the designed operation of that sort of mechanism. When unlocked, the table should swing easily from side to side and be able to be raised and lowered. The design does not include the ability to lock the rack and raise/lower the table.

BTW, congrats on the DP!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Orosco View Post

So now, once I reach the desired height, I have to swing the table so it's centered again and then tighten the lock handle so the table stays put during the drilling operation. I have checked the rack, and even though is not perfectly flush with the column, I wouldn't say is warped enough to interfere with the operation.

I am a complete newbie, so maybe this is how it's supposed to be; but I want to find out if there's something potentially wrong with it.
    It's supposed to work like that so you can drill long objects. You want to be able to rotate the table about its roll axis to make it parallel to the column, rotate table around the column, and clamp longer objects to it.

Scribe a line down the front of the DP tube. then put a referance mark in the table slide. now after you rase / lower the table you just aline your mark to the scribed line and your lined up to drill.
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

Thank you!

Thank you all for all the quick replies and useful suggestions. Since there is nothing wrong with the Press, now I can officially say that it's a gloat!

I don't want to get in trouble with the pic police, so here's the proof
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a lot of machine for $300.
    Congrats!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very nice Drill Press. Congratulations on the new addition to your shop!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I want that same machine too. Although I don't think I can even approach the wife about it right now since I just got a G0453 two days ago. What a great price for a new Jet DP though. I hope they do it again in about a year.

Thanks, guys!

Haven't had a chance to play with the press too much, but so far it looks great. Changing speeds was a little hard at the beginning, but once I got the gist of it, things went smoothly (i.e. unless you are 6'4, which I am certainly not, I found out it makes a world of difference to stand up on a step stool to have a better grip on the belts).

I had saved for the Ridgid model (which retails for $300), so when I saw this deal for the same price, it was a no-brainer. It's probably more press than I will ever need, but that's good... I don't want to outgrow my tools (which I am sure is going to happen soon with my Bosch contractor's saw )

Not only does the table lock handle keep the table from swinging out of alignment with the drill bit, but . . .

The table lock handle alters the fore-and-aft angle of the table relative to the column. So, if the lock handle isn't tight, the table will be out of square (front-to-back) with the drill bit.

I encourage you to pull out your square and check the angles--right, left, front, back--at various levels of crankitude.

Congrats on your new DP. I've had a very similar Jet for several years and have been very happy with it. Next step is to watch for sales on Woodpeck.com for one of their DP tables, which I found to be helpful. Or there are several selfbuilds; either will increase the usefullness of the machine.

Happy wwing,

Don M