Thread: A Creeker Comes To Visit **PIC**

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

A Creeker Comes To Visit **PIC**

I had the pleasure of meeting Waymon Campbell and his lovely wife Fran yesterday. They stopped by The Old Rebel Workshop on their way from Texas to Bill Grumbine's BBQ.

Fran was inquisitive about the pen making process so I made her a Bethlehem Olivewood pen while they were here. I told her how ladies made expert pen turners and maybe she should get Waymon to buy her a lathe . We basically talked FPP and woodworking in general for the rest of their visit.

Although the visit was relatively short I sure did enjoy meeting these fine folks. It was nice of them to stop by. They were also kind enough to bring me a "really nice" Afzelia Burl bowl blank. I sure hope I can get around to getting it turned in the next week or so. I also plan on getting a few pens from it after rounding out the blank.

Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 07-29-2004 at 11:08 AM.

That is just too neat, Ken! My "dealings" with Waymon have strictly been "long distance", but I have found him to be a most sincere and personable type guy. It appears my opinion has been justified on numerous levels! Sounds like you folks had a great visit and that's one purty lookin' chunk of wood 'ya got there! Can't wait to see what the Rebel comes up with on that one! (BTW, you sure don't look that "tough" to be a "Rebel"!!! )
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Ken

That is some nice piece of wood ... any idea where it comes from?? Really nice gift.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Wright
    That is some nice piece of wood ... any idea where it comes from?? Really nice gift.
    Ken - It is an African species:

http://www.iswonline.com/wwp/wom/afzelia.shtml
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I thought that was George Carlton...........

Blog Entries

Good deal

Visits from Creekers are always fun. I'll look forward to meeting them at 5 Barns. I hope he knows that he has to bring enough wood to share at the picnic as well
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Waymon,

After the 5-barns thing, you should make the trip through New England and meet us "Creekers" in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. After traveling through Texas, it will seem like a day trip to ya
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Thanks Ken

I"ll trade you two truck loads of SLLYP and 3 alligators for that chunk of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    I had the pleasure of meeting Waymon Campbell and his lovely wife Fran yesterday. They stopped by The Old Rebel Workshop on their way from Texas to Bill Grumbine's BBQ.
    Ken - LOML and I sure enjoyed our visit with you. I am back at the hotel after Day 1 of Five Barns. Bill Grumbine and his family sure are some nice folks. I have had a super time talking with the other 'Creekers there. I can't wait to see what you turn out of that burl.

FYI - I gifted Bill Grumbine with an even larger chunk, along with some spalted tamarino.
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

Here's a pic I shot showing "the Master" telling LOML about the finer points of turning a pen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...