Thread: Simple design help

Simple design help

OK, it's been awhile but I'm drawing a blank. I chucked up a piece of cedar, roughed it out but have drawn a blank on design. So, if this was you, what would you do. The bottom is the end in the chuck. Would you turn it into a high wall bowl or would you go more with a hollow form. What about the bottom or foot. I normally don't draw a blank on design but I did on this piece. It's just not saying anything to me.

Brian - I would reverse it first and turn a smaller tenon to attach to the chuck. Then I would make a southwestern style hollow form - no big surprise there I suppose - but I would try to get the most out of this piece of wood and that says hollow form.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to turn. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I agree with Steve. It was the first thing I noticed. He has the wrong end down. As far as the shape I would go with some type of Hollow form.
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert

Thanks Guys,
    I wasn't able to reverse it without significantly losing wood to work with. I decided to do a HF as suggested. It'll at least help me get back into my groove after having been down for so long. I took it down to a little under 1/4" on the walls. Not finished yet as the hollowing gave my back a good workout and I had to stop for the day. My bigger concern will be some of the stress fractures I saw creep up after I had stopped. Hopefully they don't continue to grow. I turned at a little slower speed and made sure to keep the cutter sharp for fear of stress fractures. I know cedar is notorious for them. The wood came from a buch of trees downed during a storm. I'm wondering if the tree had the "shakes". I think that's what they call it anyway. I'll post pics tomorrow night.