Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grrr...........

Prices by location

Curtis....prices for any given species of lumber will vary greatly depending on availability of that species locally. The price that Ken paid in his location doesn't suprise me a bit.
    Mike Svoma

"There is nothing sexier than a woman in camoflage"

Since I don't use my skews that much when I need to use one I whip out a 2x4 and do a good practice session just so I don't end up with nasty catches et al.

Burt

More Grrrrrssssss!

Well,

I made a little jig for my lathe......using a router and the spindle indexing capability.....I routed 3 flat spots to Norm's specs 120º apart on the bottom of the table's spindle. Then I made another "plate" for the top of it an routed the dove tails. Worked like a charm! Yes!

However,

Since then I have ruined more test pieces than you can shake a stick at getting the pins routed on pieces of wood that will be the 3 legs. Luckily...these are just test pieces that were milled to the same thickness. Today is the first time I've been in the shop in 3 days after the last irritating attempt.

Same story.....adjust the fence on the router table....nope....adjust....nope.....then magically the depth of cut changed....then the bit spun right out of the collet.

Grrrrrrr!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well,

I finally got back to the shop after the bathroom remodel.

Here it is........without any finish applied. I need to sweep down my shop.....let the residual dust settle for a few days and then apply a finish.

My version of Norm's Martha Washington's cherry candle stand....without any finish applied....

DSC_0001 (2).jpg

DSC_0006 (2).jpg

DSC_0005 (2).jpg

More photos after it's finished.
    Ken

Very nice!

Ken,

Congratulations! That appears to be a very nice project. Well done.

Check out eBay or some of the online sellers. I think even with shipping, you'd come out ahead. You also might well be able to get 16/4 and not need to glue up anything. Hearne Hardwoods is very good.

Real nice job Ken. Glad to see something go from Grrr! to Cool!
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

Nice work, Ken!! Love the turned pedestal - my encouragement for practice on the lathe!

Great job on that candle stand, Ken. I've got that episode recorded on DVR and have thought about making it some day. If I do, I hope it comes out half as nice as yours. Thanks for the pics and the grrrs, too.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Ken,
    I'm sure you didn't get that at Woodcraft in Spokane!!!! Sometimes, makes me wish I lived back in Pittsburgh again, but only for a little while. Lots of Maple out here and other figured woods but anything not native, costs the earth. Can't wait to see the pics.
    Ernie
    Tri-Cities
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

Wicked awesome Ken. Amazing work. Keep it up!

Joshua

Looking good Ken. What's the diameter of the top?

Harlan,

The top measures 19" in diameter.

Thanks your for the kind comments everyone.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-23-2009 at 9:27 AM.
    Ken

Persistance pays off!

Ken, It turned out very nice! I think that will have to go on the list of things to make for the cabin some day! We all have days when the tools win and we beg the turning gods to show us the way to tool enlightenment!! It is just like hunting, days and days of practice and waiting and nothing but when the giant buck steps out for just a second and all you get is an awe inspiring glimpse of him. It is why we drive on and continue to do the things we are passionate about!

Gret job and you have nothing to be bummed about, it is a great piece of turned furniture!

Thanks for your honesty on the BOO BOO'S!!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Well......I will admit to being a procrastinator.......one year and one week ago, I posted that I had finally completed turning this table.

My wife has the patience of a saint.

I hate finishing. The bigger the finishing project...the more I hate. It took me 2 years to get around to finishing her sideboard. She finally told me I could finish it or ...she'd contact a lawyer and get it written into the divorce settlement that I could finish the sideboard or pay to have it finished.

The pedestal and the bird cage are finished and buffed out. The table top has the finish applied and I am letting cure before I attempt buffing it out.

This was my first major project using Deft brushing lacquer on large surfaces. I have used it on bowls and other small turnings. There was a learning curve but I won't hesitate to use it again and won't procrastinate as long either because of the knowledge I gained. I am starting my finishing diary tonight so I don't have to relearn the lessons.

CT1.jpg

DSC_0001.JPG
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-29-2010 at 9:57 PM.
    Ken