Thread: 3520B Mobility

3520B Mobility

What are the available choices for mounting wheels to my lathe to move it around. I don't need to move it far, just roll it away from the wall for cleaning. It seems like some kind of wheels that crank up and down would be best so it doesn't skate while in operation.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

hi john
    i made a frame and used zambus casters ac600 on my 3520b .
    easy to move around and easy to crank the pad down. and easy to level very important if you move it around. and the pad is bigger diam. than the original feet.
    and with the pads down it's very stable.

tim mathis
    Last edited by tim mathis; 04-12-2009 at 11:30 PM.
    The only time you mustn't fail is the last time you try. Charles Kettering

What Tim shows is an excellent way to accomplish this task. I, too, do not recommend any solution where the wheels stay engaged with the floor and leveling is essential to avoid any racking of the lathe, itself when positioned. Yes, cast iron DOES bend...and your centers may not line up if you don't have leveling capability.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by tim mathis View Post
    hi john
    i made a frame and used zambus casters ac600 on my 3520b .
    easy to move around and easy to crank the pad down. and easy to level very important if you move it around. and the pad is bigger diam. than the original feet.
    and with the pads down it's very stable.

tim mathis
    Tim, did you first try installing the Zambus casters on the base of the lathe legs WITHOUT the mobility stand? If not, why not?

Install casters directly on legs. Drill out existing threaded hole to tap size for 1/2 inch threads, then re-thread for 1/2 inch stud; when done, install the 3 inch casters with 1/2 inch threaded stud and jam nut, available from Woodcraft (right now on sale, 'bout $12 each). If you want to raise, turn the caster base, and up she goes. Lathe does not move during use unless you put excessive force on the tool, a no-no anyway, but it wheels around with reasonable pressure. Oh, yes, the casters have built-in brakes (very good but superfluous) if you want to use them.

Cast iron was easy to drill (too easy it seemed) and tap; use care and ask how if you have not worked cast iron (before you do it is the best time).

To be mobile or not to be mobile

John: I use a harbor freight lift cart. It is cheap and works very well. I remove it when the 3520b is in position and can use the cart for other things. It has come in handy a number of times and can also be used for a work platform with variable height. They have coupons all the time and are on sale. The one I got has a 500 capacity but it lifts my lathe with no problem. I do put a couple of 2x6's on the platform in order to not mark the lathe and it gives me extra height. I have seen people use them to remove the tail stock and lift heavy turning blanks.
    Gary

Here's a second to Gary Brewer. The harbor freight hydraulic lift cart works great to lift my PM3520B, can be used to quickly and easily remove the tail stock and a has a lot of other shop uses. I have the larger one and when on sale and with a $15 off coupon, paid less than $200.

Mobile casters for lathe

Quote Originally Posted by John Fricke View Post
    What are the available choices for mounting wheels to my lathe to move it around. I don't need to move it far, just roll it away from the wall for cleaning. It seems like some kind of wheels that crank up and down would be best so it doesn't skate while in operation.
    John,

I built simple cam actuated casters for my Jet 1642. I'm sure they would easily lift the 3520. They provide just the right amount of mobility, yet allow the lathe to be quickly dropped onto it's feet for rock solid stability. Pictures are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/dmshopsh...eMobileCasters#

Best regards.
    Dick Mahany.

Thanks guys

Tim
    Your cabinet is very very nice. The one drawback I see to the leveling casters is getting down on the floor to operate them. I'm not so mobile myself.

Dick
    I really like your design. I seem to remember a similiar design used on a mobile workbench I saw once. I think I will use this design and build out of steel. I'm sure the wood would be fine, I'm just a bit concerned about wear on the cam and fatigue in the screw holes over time. Did you just lay the caster setup next to the lathe legs in the relaxed position to determine mounting position?
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

hi jeff, i wanted to be able to mount the 2 cabinets under the lathe. and use the sides to store tool rests so that is why i made the stand.
    when i assembled the lathe i tried the hf 1000 # lift carts but they sprayed oil out around the oil fill bolt ( because of the flat gasket tring to seal on the round housing.) i returned 2 of them .i hope they have changed the type of seal. tim m.
    The only time you mustn't fail is the last time you try. Charles Kettering

Positioning the mobile casters

Quote Originally Posted by John Fricke View Post
    Tim
    Your cabinet is very very nice. The one drawback I see to the leveling casters is getting down on the floor to operate them. I'm not so mobile myself.

Dick
    I really like your design. I seem to remember a similiar design used on a mobile workbench I saw once. I think I will use this design and build out of steel. I'm sure the wood would be fine, I'm just a bit concerned about wear on the cam and fatigue in the screw holes over time. Did you just lay the caster setup next to the lathe legs in the relaxed position to determine mounting position?
    John,

I did do some basic layout ahead of time for the caster arrangement, but as you surmised, I simply wound up laying the casters, in the retracted position, next to the legs to locate them. The cast iron drills like butter and they were easy to locate. To minimize wear, I used a steel sleeve as a bushing between the pivot bolt and the wooden handle and used a piece of Delrin as the bearing surface. I move the lathe a lot and no appreciable wear has resulted. I also made a similar arrangement for my mobile workbench and the pics are also at the same link in another album
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dmshopsh...chCasterDetail#

The only upgrade I might consider would be to use the Woodcraft red urethane wheel casters as they are a much better wheel.

Best regards.
    Dick Mahany.