Thread: New Band Saw

New Band Saw

I just sold a pc of metal working equipment and have approx $700 to spend on a new bandsaw. I'm strongly considering the Steel City 50100 at Highland:

Link

I looked at the Grizzly G0550X as well but I'm not crazy about have my saw come on a truck (I used to work in a shipping terminal and know how things get treated) and have to pay shipping, etc.... Any suggestions / pro cons?
    ken

My buddy pat bought the Griz and had no problems. My buddy Jim has the same saw as well. I bought a GriZ product and did have problems but just know that the owner of Griz name is Shiraz and he is a creeker. Heck, he is giving away some nice maple in our drawing right now. He lets thing take their course and if a creeker gets on here with a serious problem he fixes it if that helps.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

The grizzly band saws are really nice. But that is a heck of a deal on a SC band saw. I wish they would have had that deal when I bought my grizzly. Even with grizzly's sale prices I think you are saving a few bucks with the SC saw. Either way I don't think you can go wrong. I know the SC guys will take care of you as well. If highland woodworking is a local distrubtor I think I would got that way. You are supporting a local business and you have a face to talk to as well.

I had no problems with my Grizzly G0555X shipment. It's a great saw in its class. I wouldn't fret too much about the shipping issues.

That being said, looks like the SC that you're considering is a good value for the money, too. Best of luck with your decision.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

hi ken,
    i have 3 steel city machines i love their 18 inch bandsaw. in january i had a problem with the motor and they sent a bigger motor and a mag switch .no more problems.
    that is the only problem i have had in 3 years and they took care of it fast.
    i purchased my bandsaw and drill press from a local store and ordered the ind. jointer from woodworkers supply and the box with the base was damaged by the shipping company , it was replaced but not a good feeling while waiting. on my next big purchase if i can i will buy locally.

both griz and steel city are good but with the steel city you get a 5 year warranty.
    tim mathis
    The only time you mustn't fail is the last time you try. Charles Kettering

That seems a little pricy for a 14" saw. For a little more $$$$ you could have this saw which is in a different class than the SC. Just a suggestion to consider of course. http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2-HP/G0513
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky View Post
    That seems a little pricy for a 14" saw. For a little more $$$$ you could have this saw which is in a different class than the SC. Just a suggestion to consider of course. http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2-HP/G0513

Good gosh...I won't say what I paid for my Powermatic 14"
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Go with the G0513 you will be happy you did

I have the G0513x2 and it is a fantastic saw. Free shipping on it right now, not on the G0513 though. The extra features are items I though I would not need, but after using the saw I would never be without a tracking window, or tension gauge window, a larger table. You will have phenomental more capability with this Grizzly 17" than any 14" I have ever seen or used.

The saw came in its own crate by freight truck. With the help of another gent, we were able lay the machine down on its side into the trailer, take it home, slide it out, and begin taking the crate apart. If you plan to put it on wheels, I recommend making a wheel dolly and lifting the saw onto the dolly before putting on the table. The saw has a lift eyebolt in the top if you have a place to winch from above.

After having smaller bandsaws for many years, after just a couple of days, I thought to myself, why I had not gotten a bigger, quality machine like this saw much sooner, and not had to deal with all the little tweaks and tuning that I constantly had to make on smaller saws for so many years.

Hum... I was sold on the SC 'till I looked at the Griz G0513x2
    ken

+1 vote for 17". I got the G0555 last year. Love it, great saw, great price, no complaints on shipping (stock blade sucks, though) but it's 14, and I ALREADY am looking upstream. If yr gonna resaw anything upwards of 4-5", then get riser blocks if you just have to go 14".

You know...you might consider getting a 'cheap' 14" now and then a 'good' 17" in a couple years and keep both...

I just received a g0453 planer from grizzly on friday. I can't speak for their saws, but the shipping/receiving part of the transaction was very smooth and painless. Especially now with the free shipping on certain tools, I'd consider them very seriously for any future tool purchases.

Thanks Jay & Shawn, This is going to be a tough call...
    ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Good gosh...I won't say what I paid for my Powermatic 14"

I know it always hurts when you pay a lot for something and then realise what you COULD HAVE BOUGHT!
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I don't know if the G0555x comes packed different but my G0555 came in a box with stryrofoam molded packing and because of that it would have to take a really hard blow to do some damage to it. Mine had a puncture in the side of it from a forklift blade but it was no where close to coming into contact with something in the box. I was lucky in that my delivery guy was a beginning woodworker so he stayed around and helped me unpack it so he could see what it looked like.