Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lakeside Plane

A little history per PTAMPIA II:

The Lakeside labeled planes were sold from 1912-1950 and were made by Stanley and Sargent.
    Rockford planes were made from 1900-1926 with markings like that on the original OP's plane. A division of H.C. Marsh Co.
    Marsh/Rockford was sold to the Union Plane Company in 1924, which was already owned by Stanley at the time.

And Stanley used the twisted lateral on many planes made for other companies.

Stanley-made Siegleys also had the twist. I have a couple of the StS transitionals and they are twisted.

There are differences in the twists as well as the overall shape of the teardrop at the end, but I usually have trouble remembering whose was whose so I have begun trying not to put my foot in my mouth in public.

The Lakeside labeled planes were sold from 1912-1950 and were made by Stanley and Sargent.
    Rockford planes were made from 1900-1926 with markings like that on the original OP's plane. A division of H.C. Marsh Co.
    Marsh/Rockford was sold to the Union Plane Company in 1924, which was already owned by Stanley at the time.
    That's quite interesting. If I stick strictly laterals again, I look little bit pictures of Lakesides from internet and there are Sargent type and that twisted type what I was could found. Those were little bit different anyway.

To the best of my knowledge all of the Union lateral levers use a disk to engage with the blade. Early models have the disk above the pivot rivet. Later models are below the rivet.
    I found another no 5 from ebay and that looks just like that Lakeside I was seen. Looks lot like Union and that dealer was included picture without cutter. There was Jim mentioned lateral with disk, below the rivet.

Now seems that I need to get that plane that I can look what body and frog looked like.

And have Stanley cutters, where hole is at opposite direction than cutting edge? How about Sargents? I have only one Sargent VBM 415 and in that hole is at upper end, not cutting edges end. Is that something do with plane age? Older versus newer? Or does other manufactures have different way of made cutters? My Union 4 have also hole like my Sargent.

5A08DD7A-94CF-4C6F-8DDB-DE1D783A33D0.jpg
    Last edited by Tomi Rosso; 11-24-2016 at 5:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi Rosso View Post
    And have Stanley cutters, where hole is at opposite direction than cutting edge? How about Sargents? I have only one Sargent VBM 415 and in that hole is at upper end, not cutting edges end. Is that something do with plane age? Older versus newer? Or does other manufactures have different way of made cutters? My Union 4 have also hole like my Sargent.

5A08DD7A-94CF-4C6F-8DDB-DE1D783A33D0.jpg
    Union Mfg. Co. spun off their plane making in ~1917. After that the blades were marked Union Plane Co. So the blade in the image is 1917 or earlier. The lever cap may be a replacement. Not sure when Union started to emboss their name on lever caps.

Stanley patented the large hole at the bottom of the blade in April of 1892. My recollection is they lost a patent fight in a court battle.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Steven,

I believe that the "R" designation is for Rockford, not Rochester. Rockford planes were made by the H.C. Marsh Company of Rockford Illinois (along with their better know Marsh planes) and sold many to firms like Montgomery Wards -- I have some with Lakeside blades in them. All of the Rockford bench planes had the R-# designation in their castings. In February, 1924, the Union Plane Company bought the HC Marsh Company and two years later, Stanley bought all of the Marsh line from Union and incorporated them into their line. Perhaps the most important part of that acquisition was the Marsh patents for the Picture Frame Tools which they sold extensively.

A very close friend and fellow woodworker Randy Osborne had the full collection of every Marsh and Rockford plane before he passed away in June 2010 -- After finishing the cabinet he had started, I exhibited the Marsh collection on his behalf at the MWTCA National Meeting in Louisville, KY late that year where it won two awards. I believe his widow sold the entire collection to a collector in Rockford a few years later.

100_6227.jpg 100_6230.jpg

SDC13449.jpg
    Union planes L-R: #3, #4, and a #5-A

SDC14536.jpg
    The #3 torn down(was made just before Stanley buy-out)

Appears that I did have a Lakeside plane come through the shop,once...
    IMAG0064.jpg
    Nothing real fancy about it..
    IMAG0065.jpg
    Cast frog....almost like a Handyman style
    IMAG0068.jpg
    Kind of different, though...
    IMAG0067.jpg
    It was just passing through....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Appears that I did have a Lakeside plane come through the shop,once...
    IMAG0064.jpg
    Nothing real fancy about it..
    IMAG0065.jpg
    Cast frog....almost like a Handyman style
    IMAG0068.jpg
    Kind of different, though...
    IMAG0067.jpg
    It was just passing through....
    It looks like it passed through the kitchen for a bite before leaving.

Sorry for late reply. I finaly got it. I don't say that so bulky and not well made. I think it look quite good.

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

I still think it looks a lot like this. After that I am pretty sure.

http://timetestedtools.forumchitchat.com/post/information-on-typing-union-bench-planes-7539560

Scroll down when you see two disassembled planes.

Br,
    TR
    Last edited by Tomi Rosso; 12-07-2016 at 3:40 PM.

I found quite interesting picture from Wards catalog at 1920. Not my plane, but still.

Wards catalog.JPG

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJ...1IQ3JpUFE/view

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi Rosso View Post
    I found quite interesting picture from Wards catalog at 1920. Not my plane, but still.

Wards catalog.JPG

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJ...1IQ3JpUFE/view
    Be careful following the link.

I just spent an hour looking through a catalog.

At least my wallet was safe.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Went through that catalog, too.....thinking about how many of those tools are like ones I have in the shop......the Stanley No. 358? the price back then is about what I paid for mine this past spring.....counting an extra saw or two...

Twould be nice to be able to buy a Stanley No. 55 at the price that was listed back then......instead of 10x that amount....