Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mushroom?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mushroom?

I started turning mushrooms from branch wood to practice my Skew skills without chewing up 'real' wood. 2" to 5" diameter with corresponding height. I was just doing it to practice and because it really did not matter how they turned out, I could always say that was what I intended. Now the LOML has decided they are incredibly 'cute' and wants me to make a bunch so she can sell them at the farmer's market. Anyone have any experience with mushrooms? Is it possible to actually sell these things? I can't see any value in them myself and while I'm enjoying the practice I really don't need 500 hundred of them.
    John Trax

They must be because I have a video on how to make them although these were mushroom boxes. If you wife thinks they are "cute" they will probably sell.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

John, this guy sells them for $3.00 a pop.

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/mushroom.shtml

John - if your wife is happy with your mushrooms - don't argue! Make her as many as she wants to get started and turn her loose! You just never know!

When I first started turning I made a bunch of candle holders out of spalted white birch. Each evening when I finished I would bring the new turnings up from the shop and place it on the kitchen table - to show it off. After about a week of this I noticed all my turnings had disappeared. Figured my wife had gotten tired of looking at them and did something with them.

Well, she took them to work with her and that evening handed me a check and said "See, I told you these would sell!" Wow, cool, who would have thought?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

They sell strangely well. When I started turning, I started making them as practice pieces too. My wife (a "foody") loved them. So did several friends of hers. I sell mine for $3 each or 3 for $8. And I've sold dozens of them. A trio of shrooms seems to be evocative and whimsical.

If you find a branch that's bigger, make one 10"-14" tall, poly the heck out of it, and put a nail or spike in the bottom. Drive it in the ground under a tree and wait for your spouses reaction.

Lux
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Scott,
    My wife is a "foody" as well. Bakes for the county fair, watches every food TV show there is etc. She just finished entering the Pillsbury Baking Contest.

She is usually pretty good about knowing what will sell. I just can't wrap my head around selling a wooden mushroom. I've got a field guide with lots of mushroom pictures in it. Now I'm trying out different shapes to match various kinds of mushrooms rather than just turning at will.
    John Trax

There is a turner from Salem, Walt Theis, and he went to Washington DC for a month or so to turn them at the Smithsonian. They do sell. They can be made as ornamental, or boxes. If you turn green ones, do microwave them.
    robo hippy

Ron,

Good link! Those look a lot like mine except I think mine are bigger and I turn them top to headstock. Not sure that makes any difference but I'll try it the other way round next time and see. I've been finishing in a bucket of turners oil. I'm turning red alder and western maple, which is what I found in the yard after the snow melted. The alder dries very life like the maple a little too white to look realistic
    John Trax

I've made a ton of the things and everyone seems to like them although I usually just give them away to friends.

One thing I do is to create a texture under the cap with a chatter tool.

I figure any turning is good therapy.

Dave
    My money talks to me... It says Good Bye.

Now that's interesting. Turn a Mushroom. Never even thought about it. I can see where it would make for good practice. I might have to give it a try - not to sell- but for the practice. Sounds good. Thanks!!

John I get $3.50 for them and they sell pretty well. Just make'em and let the wife sell them.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

some of you should post your mushrooms... never seen 'em...

Sorry Clara, I've been waiting for someone to tell me 'no picture, it didn't happen'. I'll get right on that!
    John Trax

Ok,

Here are the mushroom pictures, the two whiter ones in the back are maple the rest are red alder. Sorry about the background I guess I should iron that sheet. The caps are hollowed out to about an eighth on average. The light glows right through them. The fuzzys on some is moss. The branches were covered with it and I thought it looked nice so I left it on. These are 'rustic' not a glossy finished item.

2009.04.17@18.32.51 (Medium).jpg

2009.04.17@18.33.27 (Medium).jpg
    John Trax

These are my prototypes. Mounted butterfly & dragonfly with piano wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images