Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mushroom?

What the wife wants, the wife gets..... If she wants you to turn mushrooms, what are you complaining about!?!?! LOL

I picked up a book, Mini Lathe Magic, and he goes into some detail on making mushrooms. Eccentric mushrooms too. I never turned one, the wife saw the pics, and was not impressed. Maybe I should though....

Skott,

I ground a 3/4" scraper to fit the shape I wanted under the cap. Sort of a tight left hooked kinda thing. Looks strange but it works like a charm. I turn the stem to the shape I want and then use the scraper under the cap to hollow out. Then use the skew to turn the top of the cap to the shape I want right down to parting off. Since this is all green wood it turns quick and easy.

I started this just because I needed something to practice the skew with. I'm still no where near where I want to be but I am starting to feel more comfortable and amazed at what you can do with a skew once the hands learn how.
    John Trax

some of you should post your mushrooms... never seen 'em...

Sorry Clara, I've been waiting for someone to tell me 'no picture, it didn't happen'. I'll get right on that!
    John Trax

Ok,

Here are the mushroom pictures, the two whiter ones in the back are maple the rest are red alder. Sorry about the background I guess I should iron that sheet. The caps are hollowed out to about an eighth on average. The light glows right through them. The fuzzys on some is moss. The branches were covered with it and I thought it looked nice so I left it on. These are 'rustic' not a glossy finished item.

2009.04.17@18.32.51 (Medium).jpg

2009.04.17@18.33.27 (Medium).jpg
    John Trax

These are my prototypes. Mounted butterfly & dragonfly with piano wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is one from a batch that I did for bottle stoppers. It's about 2" high, much smaller than the pic. I blew up a few doing the hollow under the cap too. I re-ground a 1/2" round nose scraper to a tighter, asymmetrical curve, and had better luck with that than with the detail spindle gouge I used at first. Still a touchy business with small pieces like this however.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 04-18-2009 at 1:15 AM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Veddy nice Dan! I like it!

More mushrooms

Quote Originally Posted by Clara Koss View Post
    some of you should post your mushrooms... never seen 'em...
    This is my first attempt at posting pictures so I hope I did it right. I've done mushrooms for ......goodness....15 yrs.! These are toothpick holders and sell great. I do a lot that are just plain and I carve gills under the cap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ruth,
    Pictures are great as well as the shrooms.