Thread: DNA soak roughturned and sealed bowls..

DNA soak roughturned and sealed bowls..

I Think i have read somewhere on the forum about soaking already turned bowls that have been sealed with ancorseal...

I rough turned some 30 bowls the week before easter, and haven't got the capacity to soak them all at once, so i had to seal them and store them but now i want to run them throug the DNA bucket and was wondering if there was anything to consider, or if it was just intothe bucket as usual..
    Rasmus Petersen - woodturning.dk.
    It´s not a failure it´s a design opportunity

Rasmus - I tried doing a search to find the thread you mentioned but did not have any luck.

This is just my opinion - but I would think you would have to remove the anchorseal before placing the turning into the DNA. I have used DNA for removing wax from turnings before and it works really good. Placing a bowl covered in anchorseal into DNA would eventually create one heck of a mess because the DNA is going to try to dissolve the wax. Have to think that the dissolved wax would eventually build up in the solution to a point where it no longer would be usable for soaking blanks. Like I said - I have nothing to base this on - it is just my opinion.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Here is another option. Let the bowls you anchorsealed dry over the next year and rough another batch. You can DNA soak them in a heavy plastic bag. Make a depression in the turning noodles, put your bowl in the bag and add alcohol. I have used this method for bowls that are too large for my bucket.

I had some anchor sealed bowls that I wanted to DNA soak. I re-chucked them and turned off the anchorseal before putting them in DNA. This also got them back round again.

Now, if I cannot put rough bowls immediately into DNA, I will put them in a plastic garbage bag for a few days until I have room.

If you are putting anchorseal on bowl blanks, then that means to me that you rough turned to 10% thickness, and are planning to dry them and return them later. You do not use anchor seal on green turned to final thickness bowls as it would have to come off and you couldn't turn it off because there wouldn't be enough wood for that. If you are going to soak them in DNA, then you can store them in plastic bags, or burry them all in the pile of wet shavings that are left from your turning till you can get them in the soak mix. Using the anchor seal before the soak is an extra step that you don't really need to do. You can also soak the bowls by putting them in plastic bags with the DNA (bags that don't have holes in them that is), and tying it up. Maybe not as good as imersion, but it does work.
    robo hippy

Thank you all.. I will use the plasticbag in the future... But my issue is with right now... Ah well i will experiment and get back to you all i think i will let this batch air dry and do the next one with the DNA soak..

1 other thing ... should the bowl be submerede and not float to the surface when i take them out or dosent that matter, im thinkin saturation...

Rasmus - I usually weigh the bowl down with something heavy that the DNA will not hurt..... like a big rock or something.
    Steve

so have i, but they float to the surface when taken out.. but does it matter or is it irrelevant...

Rasmus - I guess I am missing your point. I weigh down the bowl so that it remains totally submerged in the DNA for the entire time it is soaking. If I soak 2 or 3 bowls at the same time - I still make sure that they are weighed down and all of them are submerged. Is that what you are asking?
    Steve

Nope... I was wondering.. When soaked completely and saturated with DNA the bowl should stay submerged by it self, or should it ? Will it still pop to the surface after the soak..

OK, it probably depends on the type of wood but most of what I have soaked (maple, cherry, white birch) rises to the surface when the weight was removed - even if it had soaked for 4 days!
    Steve

thank you steve :-) that anwsers my question :-) i better get back to work.. (making small stuff on the big lathe)

Have fun! Post some pictures when you finish some!
    Steve

will do :-) its nylon rolers to be used on a sailboat replacmentparts for a fosset on a bathtub and chairparts...

Sounds different than the average turning! Looking forward to it!
    Steve