Thread: Leigh jig practice & hardware observations

Leigh jig practice & hardware observations

I picked up the Leigh D4R a few months back and wanted to practice making some joints on scrap before using it on a real job. Here's what they turned into:
    A simple storage box for my Festool MFT table using 1/4" toilet bowl bolts. I was also experimenting with different ways to rabbet in 1/2" plywood on all of these.

I'm not sure what I'll end up storing here but it holds my remotes for now. I started with "bullet" hinges, but they sagged a LOT. I replaced them with a piano hinge, and although it's better, there's still some sag. I put a catch on it, but I think I mounted it backwards.

This one is for storing my drill bits. I used SOSS invisible hinges and these too have a little sag to them, even though I sized them to SOSS specs. I used a catch on this cab too, and mounted them opposite as the remote cab and I like it better. I also tried some sliding dovetails that I sanded down a little for clearance to make them removable. Not sure I like it all that much. I used a french cleat to mount this one. The back panel grain is sideways in order to use up scrap.

I mortised in the SOSS hinges before assembly.

This is the Festool jig I used for the mortising. A 3/8" bit with a 5/8" collar made it easy to lay out.

Next up will be a cabinet for my turning tools and something to store the Worksharp. Finally, here's how I'm hanging up the Leigh jig.

Well that all looks very good and a nice use of what would otherwise just be scrap. Most of my DT test pieces end up thrown out!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Great work. Looks like you have it figured out.

James, your shop cabinets look excellent; as go the dt joints they couldn't be better, very nice. Question: what is it about the sliding dt's you're not sure you like? Is it the loose fit of the dt's, or just the application of using sliding dt's with that project that you're not sure about? Tks, Vince

On your SOSS hinges. When you put them on and are expecting a weight load, you should use a different pattern than equal. If you placed two hinges near the top and one near the bottom it would have taken the load better. If you look, you should be able to find a PDF on SOSS's site the shows you hinge placement. I had it somewhere but couldn't locate it.