Thread: size of rough cut lumber

size of rough cut lumber

i am ordering some quarter sawn mahogany for an upcoming project that involves about 30 BF of each of the following; 4/4, 8/4, 10/4, 12/4 and 16/4. i trying to weigh out the differences of buying the lumber in the appropriate thicknesses or all in 16/4 and resaw them down to the correct size. i have access to an 18" bandsaw that can handle the cut and the price difference between the different sizes is neglible.

any input from you guys would be great.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Sean,
    It is probably not a good idea to buy all thick stock and re-saw. The per board foot price of stock increases as the stock gets thicker. Unless you are forced to buy a minimum quantity of each thickness that is way more than you need, buy the thickness required. You'll save some money. Besides, lumber is usually a bit more moist toward the center of the thickness. Re-sawing often requires a board re-acclimate to let both faces come into equilibrium after you re-saw thick boards. The wood movement associated with the drying added to the relieved stresses that happen with re-sawing may allow the boards to move.
    fmr

Blog Entries
    Where I am, thicker is more costly. I generally don't go with 4/4 if I expect to get 3/4" out of it. I do buy thicker and mill down but I wouldn't buy 16/4 to get multiple 4/4 boards out of due to cost.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-15-2009 at 8:27 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

From what I've seen, mahogany is generally quite true to nominal thickness, and being a very stable wood, rough sawn lumber is quite flat and wouldn't require much (if any) planing to get 2 smooth surfaces. So it would be safe to get 8/4, for example, if your finished dimension was close to 8/4. And since it's quartersawn, it even more stable than flatsawn.

If you go with 16/4 and need 4/4, you'll have 3 bandsaw kerfs that you'll lose.

I wouldn't buy thick for yr project. Not worth the effort, and you increase the risk of warped stock after resawing.

Is it African or 'genuine' mahogany?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    I wouldn't buy thick for yr project. Not worth the effort, and you increase the risk of warped stock after resawing.

Is it African or 'genuine' mahogany?
    it sounds clear that i should do my layout and figure out how much of each size i'll need instead of buying the 16/4.

it is genuine mahogany. Sweet tea Macro feel ya'
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Funky - why quartersawn for all of those sizes? Or is it a few chairs?

Where you're located, you should be able to find a large mahogany importer that can give you exactly what you want - down to the width of each individual board.

Were you closer to PA, I'd tell you to give Irion a call. They specialize in this sort of thing - selling a "furniture set" of boards correctly sized for all of the parts.